Re: patch philosophy

From: Dennis Depp (deppd@comcast.net)
Date: 08/31/02

From: "Dennis Depp" <deppd@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 10:15:12 -0400

Scott,

I apply all security patchs and Service Packs on my system. When a new
security hotfix comes out, I wait at least 24 hours before installing it on
a production machine. Durning this time, I test it in our test bed and
monitor newsgroups and listservs for potential problems. After 24 hours if
I determine it is a critical patch, I will install it ASAP. If it is not
critical, I will wait until a maintanence window or until the next critical
patch comes out. Non Security hotfixes are only applied if I have a problem
and PSS says this will resolve the problem.

Dennis

"Scott" <scott@work.com> wrote in message
> What's everyones patch philosophy?
>
> I generally find that we like to apply all patches, just
> in case something gets through the firewall or there's a
> configuration that's not correct somewhere.
>
> After all, code red got through on one server (not "owned"
> by us) and eventually spread everywhere it could, except
> our servers since we were patched all up.
>
> Scott

Relevant Pages

  • Re: New Microsoft Patch?
    ... OK, I installed the patch, and everything is working fine. ... Scott wrote: ... > of any problems installing this update on an XP Pro ... (I don't use Firefox, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • 9_Recommended error codes (specifically return code 5)
    ... * "return code 2" indicates patches are already installed. ... * "return code 25" means a patches requires another patch that is not yet installed. ... With or without using the save option, the patch installation process ... Installing 114008-01... ...
    (SunManagers)
  • Re: Which security patch NOT to install
    ... This revised patch corrects an installation issue that some customers ... has caused some customers difficulty installing the patch. ... Unless she has the previous patch for those languages installed why ... (Command Software A/V) ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.general)
  • Re: Bit of a rocky start
    ... retrieving character lists which Blizzard says should be resolved by 4:30. ... Patch required, gulp. ... Blizzard updater appears, 1% installing "locale-wnUS.MPQ' ... Okay, so, framerate seems to be slightly up, or maybe my imagination. ...
    (alt.games.warcraft)
  • Re: MS02-018 Breaking ASP ODBC
    ... > after installing the latest security hotfixes as of April ... >>1) IIS 5 web server can't be contacted. ... >>before the patch and that fixed that problem. ... >>load some VB components that fail to connect to my Oracle ...