Re: system hacked

From: karl [x y] (jamescagney90210@excite.com)
Date: 08/07/02

From: "karl [x y]" <jamescagney90210@excite.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 18:57:13 -0400

"Azuziel" <g_brossault@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:13f001c23d5b$e64e61d0$a5e62ecf@tkmsftngxa07...
> reinstall is not neccessary.

Of course it's not necessary. But it's necessary if you don't like being
hacked again.

> Setup a packet sniffer. ANy
> old packet sniffer will do. rn it for 24 hours. If your
> computer is being used for DOS attacks. You'll see what

That won't detect back doors like new login IDs, passwords that were changed
on existing login IDs, and remote access tools that are listening but not
sending out packets. You could still be compromised.

> ports are being used. Manually close them. And remove the
> 1.exe file from your system. After that's done, setup a
> software firewall. Or pick up an old 486, install an old
> version of redhat linux, and use it as a firewall. Linux
> boxes are MUCH harder to penetrate, nor are the affected
> by viruses on the scale that Windoze is.

Then why are my firewalls constantly being scanned by compromised RedHat and
other Linux machines? Why are the last half dozen vulnerabilities listed
this year at www.cert.org affecting OpenSSH, Apache, PHP, etc? You should
mention that RedHat is way easy to hack unless you configure it correctly...
just like Windows.

Relevant Pages

  • DNS not responding
    ... This is more of a networking question, than a redhat specific question, or ... I plan to shortly get rid of the ISDN line and Cisco ... which is why I've moved to this setup. ... This allows all tcp and udp requests on port 53 to be forwarded to my linux ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: Printer + Linux = no carriage return
    ... Nice thing about Linux when it comes to this printer, ... I don't remember whether the Red Hat setup had me select what ... to at least RedHat 7.3 for security reasons. ... most modern versions of Linux have a newer nice configuration tool ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: Okay - Im an idiot
    ... > After spending three days re-installing and trying to setup a linux PC ... try something like redhat or better yet mandrake. ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: LINUX IP Routing
    ... > I need to setup IP routing and a Firewall very quickly on LINUX. ... Written with Mozilla 1.4 on Linux RedHat 8.0 ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: DNS on Linux box fails from WinXP client after a few minutes.
    ... I tried a packet sniffer, ... > little odd. ... > Linux named service still continued to receive requests however. ... If you'd like to use the Linux box as the name server, ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)