Re: Content Advisor

From: Ned Flanders (nedfla@hotmail.com)
Date: 06/24/02

From: "Ned Flanders" <nedfla@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 14:32:38 -0500

MS won't advertise the fact that this is ridiculously simple to defeat. On
IE 5.5 SP2,

Stop all running instances of IE
Open up Regedit
Navigate to the key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Rating
s\.Default

Double-click the DWORD value called "Enabled"
Set value to 0
(for clarity, that's a zero, not the letter o)
click OK.

Start up IE. Navigate wherever you like.
Note that you can't turn it back on again unless you know the password. It
took me all of 2-1/2 minutes to find the on-off switch location though so I
imagine I could find the password area pretty quickly if needed.

hth
Curtis (AKA "Ned")

"Sarah" <sjswingle@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I inherited a used computer from the main office. Someone
> enabled the content advisor so that a supervisor password
> is required to see any web page. Now, no one knows what
> that password is. I've searched the microsoft web site
> (using a different computer!) and have come up with
> nothing. Does anyone know how to disable this without
> knowing the password???
> Thanks.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Content Advisor
    ... In RegEdit or REGEDT32, navigate to ... When you startup IE the next time, Content Advisor is still enabled, but the ... I've searched the microsoft web site ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Blank line in msconfig
    ... witan wrote: ... When I navigate to this location in regedit, ... Now run the registry editor and navigate to this location. ... Click on the subkey that's under startupreg. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Blank line in msconfig
    ... When I navigate to this location in regedit, ... Now run the registry editor and navigate to this location. ... Click on the subkey that's under startupreg. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: I lost my file associations and nothing opens!!!
    ... Glad you gave me the trick to get regedit open again, ... I can usually navigate to the right keys and fix problems, ... > Navigate to this registry key: ... >> It boots up fine, but all the desktop icons have the little windows logo, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Post Upgrade :: file lock issue
    ... are you saying that if you go ... start> run> regedit ... and then navigate (in the left pane) to ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)