Re: critical update downloads

From: David Dickinson [MVP] (eis@no-spam.softhome.net)
Date: 06/21/02

From: "David Dickinson [MVP]" <eis@no-spam.softhome.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 02:14:47 -0600

A. Bukowski wrote:
> I'm uncertain if my recent download of critical updates
> actually installed. There wasn't the usual file transfer
> messages requesting location of download, etc.. It simply
> showed the page downloading for serval minutes then the
> page went blank. Nothing stating download complete.
> Nothing asking to install.
>
> It has been awhile since I updated and I'm thinking what
> happened was proper. However, my computer maybe infected
> with a trogan. I'm not familiar with such things so I just
> wanted to check if that download sounded proper to anyone.

Were you using Windows Update? If so then you will not be asked for a
destination for the files.

Are you using Windows 2000 or Windows XP? If so then you can use the
Microsoft Baseline Security Advisor to verify that you have all of the
necessary security updates. It will also tell you a lot more about how to
secure your computer.

Microsoft Baseline Security Advisor (MBSA)
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/tools/Tools/MBSAhome.asp

--
David Dickinson, MVP (Security)
EveningStar Information Services