Re: critical update downloads

From: David Dickinson [MVP] (eis@no-spam.softhome.net)
Date: 06/21/02

From: "David Dickinson [MVP]" <eis@no-spam.softhome.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 02:14:47 -0600

A. Bukowski wrote:
> I'm uncertain if my recent download of critical updates
> actually installed. There wasn't the usual file transfer
> messages requesting location of download, etc.. It simply
> showed the page downloading for serval minutes then the
> page went blank. Nothing stating download complete.
> Nothing asking to install.
>
> It has been awhile since I updated and I'm thinking what
> happened was proper. However, my computer maybe infected
> with a trogan. I'm not familiar with such things so I just
> wanted to check if that download sounded proper to anyone.

Were you using Windows Update? If so then you will not be asked for a
destination for the files.

Are you using Windows 2000 or Windows XP? If so then you can use the
Microsoft Baseline Security Advisor to verify that you have all of the
necessary security updates. It will also tell you a lot more about how to
secure your computer.

Microsoft Baseline Security Advisor (MBSA)
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/tools/Tools/MBSAhome.asp

--
David Dickinson, MVP (Security)
EveningStar Information Services

Relevant Pages

  • Re: SUS
    ... > I have setup a SUS Server on win2k. ... 0-2.reg will not configure your machine to automatically download updates from ... critical updates or service packs that your machine needs. ... It will also ask you if you want to install them, ...
  • Re: Automatic Update Default Settings
    ... on the Automatic Download set up page you are really only setting install ... automatic install when turning the computer off. ... Ten updates were waiting to be ... I mean the compuer is completely off in the old fashion Windows XP ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Scary & disturbing re updates to XP (& Win2k) - spoofs, pop-ups, etc.
    ... stage of the Windows install, that's right, it was infected before XP was ... If you DO download them with the infected system make sure to ... from downloading antivirus apps, updates, or firewalls; ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: i cant update windows!
    ... > download, but at the very end of the process it says that the ... I havent been able to get any updates ... First - cleanup your machine and ready it for Service Pack 2. ... Then install Service Pack 2 from the downloaded install file (not the ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Do i need SP2?
    ... > I am running XP pro with all updates EXCEPT SP2. ... many patches will begin requiring SP2 to install.. ... and some you can only download if you are registered - but it is best ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)