Re: Microsoft Security Bulletin MS02-031 & Office 97

From: Ray (reply_in@news.only)
Date: 06/20/02

From: "Ray" <reply_in@news.only>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 19:33:45 -0400

Hi Jerry,

Got a little question. This bulletin says it only applies to the 2000 & 2002
versions because previous versions are unsupported. I checked the obsolete
products link and Office 97 is not listed as unsupported yet the bulletin
does not address Word 97 or Excel 97 and the earlier security bulletins
versions did.

I am aware that Office 97 was supposed to go unsupported in the South
Pacific area at the end of February 2002 but have not seen a similar
announcement for the USA.

Could you clarify this issue, please?

1. Does this vulnerability affect the Office 97 product line?
2. Is Office 97 still supported in the USA?

Thanks,

Ray

"Jerry Bryant [MS]" <jbryant@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> addressed in MS00-071. This new variant could enable an
> attacker's macro code to run automatically if the user had
> Microsoft Access present on the system and chose to open a
> mail merge document that had been saved in HTML format.
>
> Mitigating Factors:
> ====================
> Excel Inline Macros Vulnerability:
>
> - A successful attack exploiting this vulnerability would require
> that the user accept and open a workbook from an attacker and
> then click on an object within the workbook.
>
> Hyperlinked Excel Workbook Macro Bypass:
>
> - A successful attempt to exploit this vulnerability would require
> that the user accept and open an attacker's workbook and click on
> a drawing shape with a hyperlink.
>
> - An attacker's destination workbook would have to be accessible to
> the user, either on the local system on an accessible network
> location.
>
> Excel XSL Stylesheet Script Execution:
>
> - A user would have to accept and open an attacker's workbook to
> exploit this vulnerability.
>
> - In addition, the user would have to acknowledge a security
> warning by selecting the non-default option.
>
> Variant of MS00-071, Word Mail Merge Vulnerability:
>
> - The Word mail merge document would have to be saved in HTML
> format. As Word is not the default handler for HTML
> applications, the user would have to choose to open the document
> in Word, or acknowledge a security warning.
>
> - A successful attack requires that Access be installed locally.
>
> - The attacker's data source has to be accessible to the user
> across a network.
>
> Risk Rating:
> ============
> - Internet systems: Low
> - Intranet systems: Low
> - Client systems: Moderate
>
> Patch Availability:
> ===================
> - A patch is available to fix this vulnerability. Please read the
> Security Bulletin at
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms02-031.asp
> for information on obtaining this patch.
>
> Acknowledgment:
> ===============
> - Darryl Higa for reporting the Excel Inline Macros and
> Hyperlinked Excel Workbook Macro Bypass vulnerabilities.
>
> - The dH team and SECURITY.NNOV team (http://www.security.nnov.ru/)
> for reporting the variant of MS00-071.

> THE INFORMATION PROVIDED IN THE MICROSOFT KNOWLEDGE BASE IS
> PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. MICROSOFT DISCLAIMS ALL
> WARRANTIES, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING THE
> WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. IN NO
> EVENT
> SHALL MICROSOFT CORPORATION OR ITS SUPPLIERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES
> WHATSOEVER INCLUDING DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, LOSS OF
> BUSINESS PROFITS OR SPECIAL DAMAGES, EVEN IF MICROSOFT CORPORATION OR ITS
> SUPPLIERS HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. SOME
STATES
> DO
> NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF LIABILITY FOR CONSEQUENTIAL OR
> INCIDENTAL DAMAGES SO THE FOREGOING LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY.
>

> --
> Regards,
>
> Jerry Bryant - MCSE, MCDBA
> Microsoft IT Communities

rights.

Relevant Pages

  • RE: Activating a renamed workbook
    ... The go to tab Commands and select Macro. ... my programming experience in Outlook is very poor so please help me out. ... Then I can have a procedure in the main Excel application installing the ... because it activates the workbook always having the same name! ...
    (microsoft.public.excel.programming)
  • [NT] Cumulative Patches for Excel and Word for Windows
    ... The attacker's macro code could take any actions on the system ... * An Excel macro execution vulnerability that relates to how inline ... * An Excel macro execution vulnerability that relates to how macros are ... It is possible for macros in a workbook so invoked to run ...
    (Securiteam)
  • Microsoft Security Bulletin MS02-031
    ... Cumulative Patches for Excel and Word for Windows ... all of which could enable an attacker to run Macro code on a user's machine. ... - An Excel macro execution vulnerability that relates to how inline ... workbook so invoked to run automatically. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • RE: Activating a renamed workbook
    ... Dim myInspector As Outlook.Inspector ... The go to tab Commands and select Macro. ... Then I can have a procedure in the main Excel application installing the ... because it activates the workbook always having the same name! ...
    (microsoft.public.excel.programming)
  • RE: Strange Excel Application Object Behavior
    ... I'm running a macro in Word, which opens two workbooks, copies ... But Excel doesn't behave well sometimes after this, ... When I click on the workbook icons I ... Dim obXlTestAPP As Excel.Application ...
    (microsoft.public.excel.programming)