Re: Security Update 4 March

From: David Dickinson [MVP] (eis@no-spam.softhome.net)
Date: 06/17/02

From: "David Dickinson [MVP]" <eis@no-spam.softhome.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 15:14:24 -0600

Frank wrote:
> I am also trying to download a security patch Q313675 for IE6 WinMe.
> My error consists of a script error telling me that...this update
> requires IE 6.0 to be installed.
>
> I have already double checked and it does show to be version
> 6.0.2600.0000. What puzzles me is that when I check the properties
> in the shortcut icon, it shows that it was created a couple of days
> ago. When I checked the
> schannel.dll properties, it showed that the Product Name was Windows
> 2000 Operating system. Explorer.exe showed to be Windows 2000
> Operating system/file version 5.50.4134.100 and it was created on
> June 8th.
>
> I also noticed there's two files for the IE shortcut in my Windows
> directory. Both are 1KB and one was created on
> 7/28/2001 the other on 6/4/2002.
>
> Can anyone tell me what all this means? With all the problems I've
> read in different newsgroups, I'm hesitant to just uninstall and
> install until I have all the facts.
> If that's even possible.

I ran into a similar problem on a Windows 98SE machine a few days ago. This
is what I did to fix it:

(If you don't already have them on your hard disk, download the IE6
installation files but do not install. Use the Download Only option from
the Advanced button for a Custom installation.)

>From Control Panel\Add-Remove Programs, uninstall IE6 and reboot. If your
situation is similar to what I experienced, IE6 still will be installed when
the system restarts even though you thought you were restoring the previous
version. Then run the setup for IE6 again. When you reboot, everything
should be fine.

If the uninstall option is not available (if you deleted the backup files
for the old version) then try running IE6 setup. I'm not sure if this will
work, but it's all I can think of.

--
David Dickinson, MVP (Security)
EveningStar Information Services