Re: Security Update 4 March

From: David Dickinson [MVP] (eis@no-spam.softhome.net)
Date: 06/17/02

From: "David Dickinson [MVP]" <eis@no-spam.softhome.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 15:14:24 -0600

Frank wrote:
> I am also trying to download a security patch Q313675 for IE6 WinMe.
> My error consists of a script error telling me that...this update
> requires IE 6.0 to be installed.
>
> I have already double checked and it does show to be version
> 6.0.2600.0000. What puzzles me is that when I check the properties
> in the shortcut icon, it shows that it was created a couple of days
> ago. When I checked the
> schannel.dll properties, it showed that the Product Name was Windows
> 2000 Operating system. Explorer.exe showed to be Windows 2000
> Operating system/file version 5.50.4134.100 and it was created on
> June 8th.
>
> I also noticed there's two files for the IE shortcut in my Windows
> directory. Both are 1KB and one was created on
> 7/28/2001 the other on 6/4/2002.
>
> Can anyone tell me what all this means? With all the problems I've
> read in different newsgroups, I'm hesitant to just uninstall and
> install until I have all the facts.
> If that's even possible.

I ran into a similar problem on a Windows 98SE machine a few days ago. This
is what I did to fix it:

(If you don't already have them on your hard disk, download the IE6
installation files but do not install. Use the Download Only option from
the Advanced button for a Custom installation.)

>From Control Panel\Add-Remove Programs, uninstall IE6 and reboot. If your
situation is similar to what I experienced, IE6 still will be installed when
the system restarts even though you thought you were restoring the previous
version. Then run the setup for IE6 again. When you reboot, everything
should be fine.

If the uninstall option is not available (if you deleted the backup files
for the old version) then try running IE6 setup. I'm not sure if this will
work, but it's all I can think of.

--
David Dickinson, MVP (Security)
EveningStar Information Services

Relevant Pages

  • RE: Lost My Desktop
    ... Some of this does not apply if you have Windows XP SP2. ... Make sure of these settings and nothing will install without you ... Enable Install On Demand (Internet Explorer) ... [[Specifies to automatically download and install Web components if a Web ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: FTC Complaint filed
    ... There is no way to limit what M$ wants to install on your system because they hide the descriptions, ... And they don't need that particular download at all to put more copy protection code on your pc. ... I have long said, in my opinion and pre-Vista, that Windows 95 was the best OS Microsoft ever made. ... should be with your PCB software maker. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player)
  • Re: 16 Bit Error
    ... Something was wrong with the download. ... was just lumped in with whatever the Repair Install did. ... MS-MVP Windows Shell/User ... sure that the directory path exists, and disk space is available. ...
  • Solution for 646
    ... Before you install the update, click on the link on the page (cannot remember ... I have been trying to download updatees for widows vista. ... "Windows encountered an unknown error" error 646.any suggestions as what to ... that button then run or save the installer package then proceed to execute ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: please assist
    ... And also when i finally get into windows and just doing regular tasks as ... If you removed any softwares in step 7, restart computer. ... and Windows will want to install video card graphics drivers, ... then download the file to your ...