Re: Security update dated March 2001 for WIN98 SE

From: David Dickinson [MVP] (eis@no-spam.softhome.net)
Date: 06/17/02

From: "David Dickinson [MVP]" <eis@no-spam.softhome.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 04:39:31 -0600

B. McGinnis wrote:
> The Microsoft description for the update said it was 127 kb
> and would take 1 minute to download at 28.8 kb/s. Instead
> it was 874 kb and took 4 minutes at 56 kb/s. Does anyone
> know the reason for this descrepancy and should the update
> bre installed even though there is a significant descrepancy?

As far as I know, the only patch that was issued in March, 2001 for Windows
98SE is the same one for all OS's published before Windows XP Gold. See
MS01-017. This patch is, indeed 127 or 128kb.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS01-017.asp

I'm assuming that you were using Windows Update to get this patch. Could
874kb be the total size of all updates you downloaded from the Product
Updates page? Another thing to note is that the patches supplied by Windows
Update (WU) are packaged somewhat differently from those available via the
security bulletins. If the author of the description page for WU used the
size given in the bulletin, it might be different from the size downloaded
via WU. However, I would be surprised if there was that much of an actual
discrepancy.

--
David Dickinson, MVP (Security)
EveningStar Information Services