Re: Gaining access to hidden files to remove virus

From: Ben Harris (vrisha@cybermesa.com)
Date: 06/17/02

From: "Ben Harris" <vrisha@cybermesa.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 21:53:41 -0700

Thanks for the suggestion. I thought of a surprisingly
simple approach to the problem, and it worked!

I simply opened System Restore (Start | Programs |
Accessories | System Tools | System Restore) and created a
NEW restore point for today's date. This had the effect of
replacing the files in C:\_RESTORE\TEMP with the clean
files now on the hard drive, effectively eliminating the
virus-infected temporary files in the Restore folder.

I ran a complete virus scan afterward, and the system
checked out as totally clean.

I recommend this simple procedure to anyone with a similar
problem. Thanks again for the assistance!

navigate to the
>directory where the virus is and delete the infected
files.
>this should work(logically at least).
>let me know if it did.
>rupam
>
>--
>
>Beauty Is In The Eyes Of The Beer Holder.
>www.kamarupa.com
>

>"Ben Harris" <vrisha@cybermesa.com> wrote in message
>: Please help with the following problem which Microsft
will
>: not help with because my operating system came with the
>: computer:
>:
>: Two (2) viruses are lodged in three (3) files in
>: C:\_RESTORE\TEMP folder in Windows ME (detected by AVG
>: virus program by Grisoft).
>:
>: The infected files are hidden. When I go into properties
>: for that folder and attempt to change the attribute
>: (undo "hidden"), I am denied access to make that change.
>:
>: Even when I disable the Restore utility in ME, I still
am