Re: Password on a file

From: Justin (reply@toGroup.com.au)
Date: 06/10/02

From: "Justin" <reply@toGroup.com.au>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 13:09:29 +1000

Thanks, but my first question on how to implement it- eg Do you still use
Outlook Express, and how do you choose to Encrypt, and how to decrypt. Also
I couldn't find a download for personal email on the PGP site, it seemed to
be all business server products ...

Cheers
Justin

"x y" <jamescagney90210@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Yes, but they need to have PGP and either PGP will need to find and
download
> your public key, or they will have to import it themselves. I believe you
> can email them your public key and they can often just double-click on it
> import it. PGP does take a little learning, and it is not always as easy
as
> when you just clicked send to send an unencrypted email. In other words,
> any encryption software is probably enough to confuse a PC user that is
not
> very computer-savvy.
>
> You would probably not want to encrypt and sign every single email you
send
> out, as you have to enter your password when decrypting an incoming email
> and when signing an outgoing email, and you need to back up your keys to a
> safe place, as if your hard drive crashes, you may lose the ability to
read
> your email.
>
> It is true that PGP is maybe not the best way to authenticate that the
email
> is really from you [as there is no person authenticating new certificates,
> so anyone could theoretically set up a PGP certificate from, say,
> yourname1@hotmail.com], but the encryption is sound, and it's free, unlike
> other PKI setups which may require a yearly fee to a commercial
certificate
> authority.
>

> "Justin" <reply@toGroup.com.au> wrote in message
> > After a first look at the PGP site, can PGP be used to email someone
> outside
> > your organisation (eg family)?
> >
> > Justin
> > "Justin" <reply@toGroup.com.au> wrote in message
> > > How do we implement PGP, and what of the public/private keys?
> > >
> > > Tks
> > > Justin

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Encrypted partition solution for Windows OSes?
    ... is to encrypt the file, ... For Windows you have several ... choices, PGP, and GnuPG, as well as Guardbot for web based file transfers. ... files as drives, and aren't terribly interesting. ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)
  • RE: PGP scripting...
    ... We have a very similar solution, but we use X.509v3 instead of PGP. ... was to create a symmetric key that would be used to encrypt/decrypt all data ... generated for each data element and then the public key is used to encrypt ... We use our X.509v3 certs to do the client and server authentication. ...
    (SecProg)
  • Re: Might Be OT: Thanks for your time
    ... > So let's say you and I both use PGP to exchange email. ... > it with my secret key and encrypt it with your public key. ... > So you check the signature with PGP using my public key. ...
    (rec.pets.cats.anecdotes)
  • Re: Betr.: RE: encryption
    ... I would encrypt it gnupg/pgp.. ... >Up to a few years ago PGP and encryption was an hot item. ... >Dit e-mailbericht is uitsluitend bestemd voor de geadresseerde. ... >de afzender en de informatie te verwijderen van iedere computer. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Betr.: RE: encryption
    ... I was wondering if signing HTML files is useful. ... is it possible to encrypt HTML files and make them avalible for a specified number of users. ... Up to a few years ago PGP and encryption was an hot item. ...
    (Security-Basics)