Re: Password on a file

From: Justin (reply@toGroup.com.au)
Date: 06/09/02

From: "Justin" <reply@toGroup.com.au>
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2002 14:00:37 +1000

How do we implement PGP, and what of the public/private keys?

Tks
Justin

"S. Pidgorny [MVP]" <slavickp@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Built-in PKI support for X.509 certificates and piblic key encryption is
> technically very similar to PGP (same algorithms etc.) but different
concept
> of trust: with X.509 PKI, you usually trust to a certification authority
> whereas in PGP you build your trust yourself (NAI's attempt to
> directory-enable PGP has basically failed).
>
> With PGP/GPG, you can use just password-protected encryption (similar to
> WinZip, but presumably "stronger"): with built-in facilities, you can't.
>
> --
> Svyatoslav Pidgorny, MS MVP, MCSE
> -= F1 is the key =-
>
> "Justin" <reply@toGroup.com.au> wrote in message
> > John, how does this compare to using a digital signature and encryption,
> > through OE's features?
> >
> > Tks
> > Justin
> >
> > "John Selph" <selphj@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > If you are really concerned about secure file transmission look at
> > > www.pgp.com, it's the standard for encrypted email. WinZip would be
the
> > > easier way, just be aware that there are available programs for
breaking
> > > winzip passwords which is a fairly trivial process.
> > >
> > > "Kerry Liles" <kerry.liles@softwareNOSPAMspectrum.com> wrote in
message
> some
> > other

> > of
> > software

Relevant Pages

  • Amazingly stupid KathLOON cyberterrorist and LIAR!
    ... destruction from using the Internet and on-line services to steal from, ... However, the NSA does indeed monitor all Internet communication, just ... and that is strong encryption. ... In the documentation for PGP, the program's author, Phil Zimmermann, ...
    (sci.med.diseases.lyme)
  • RE: [Full-Disclosure] On PGP (was: Wiretap or Magic Lantern?)
    ... > encryption software used by the left-wing revolutionaries. ... > The software separating the investigators from a potentially ... > years ago after a decade of quiescence, was PGP (Pretty Good ... > Zimmermann said in a telephone interview. ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: Lets talk about privacy [telecom]
    ... Whatever happened to the push to have everyone using PGP keys and having ... would certify applicants' ID's for personal email certificates. ... of the "black magic" of PKI, or of disclosing their identity details ... perceptions of encryption that scares them away from it. ...
    (comp.dcom.telecom)
  • Kathleen Advocates Cyber-Terrorism
    ... Government Spying on the Internet ... However, the NSA does indeed monitor all Internet communication, just ... and that is strong encryption. ... In the documentation for PGP, the program's author, Phil Zimmermann, ...
    (sci.med.diseases.lyme)
  • Re: Calling Al-Jazeera
    ... NSA then proves the ... Government Spying on the Internet ... and that is strong encryption. ... In the documentation for PGP, the program's author, Phil Zimmermann, ...
    (sci.med.diseases.lyme)