Re: Setting Subweb permissions

From: David Dickinson [MVP] (eis@no-spam.softhome.net)
Date: 06/08/02

From: "David Dickinson [MVP]" <eis@no-spam.softhome.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 17:45:52 -0600

AngeeC wrote:
> In FP2000 how to password protect ONLY a subweb without
> having to password protect the entire website? Apparently
> subwebs can't have permissions greater than the root web.
> There must be a way around this!!! HELP! HELP! I would
> surely appreciate any suggestions.

I think you'd need to use a virtual domain (i.e., a separtate web
application) instead of a "subweb" (a site in a virtual folder) for each
site you want to protect in order to achieve the security you are looking
for. Unfortunately, if your development machine is a workstation operating
system like W2K Pro then you can't create virtual domains (i.e., more than
one web application).

--
David Dickinson, MVP (Security)
EveningStar Information Services

Relevant Pages

  • Re: writing a password using HTML
    ... I've just been to the suggested site. ... It's a very long process to password protect part of a ... web.First you have to create a subweb etc...and it is ... >Steve Easton ...
  • Setting Subweb permissions
    ... In FP2000 how to password protect ONLY a subweb without ... subwebs can't have permissions greater than the root web. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • password protect a subweb
    ... I am trying to password protect a subweb in FP 2003. ... server extensions are enabled. ... Administration to try to set the usernames/passwords, ...
    (microsoft.public.frontpage.client)
  • Re: FP 2000 "Security" greyed in TOOLS menu
    ... What operating systems will I need to be able to password protect a directory or subweb on the host server? ... Is there another way to accomplish this task? ...
    (microsoft.public.frontpage.extensions.windowsnt)
  • Password protect 1 page in a web
    ... >I also tried creating a subweb on the server and seting ... >user for that subweb. ... YOu can password protect your whole ...