Re: virus or hack attack?

From: David Dickinson [MVP] (eis@no-spam.softhome.net)
Date: 06/08/02


From: "David Dickinson [MVP]" <eis@no-spam.softhome.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 17:41:30 -0600


tomgreen wrote:
> All of my email, contact info, mail config setting,
> calander info and personal info was deleted from Outlook.
> Was this a virus that I have not heard of or a hack.
> My computer keeps trying to connect to a93.g.akamai.net
> and a248.e.akamai.net.

Search your hard drive for *.pst files. The akamai.net domain is used by
several different apps for automatically checking for updates.

However, this question is more appropriate for

news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.outlook

or

news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.outlook.general

The folks there will need answers to several questions:

What A/V software are you using? Is it up to date?

What are the exact symptoms you see? Do you get any error messages or
warnings when you open Outlook? Which versions of Outlook and Windows are
you using?

When you say "deleted", does that mean that you can open a particular folder
in Outlook in which you expect to see something but instead find nothing, or
are you saying that there are no folders?

--
David Dickinson, MVP (Security)
EveningStar Information Services
Las Cruces, NM USA
Summary of Microsoft Security Bulletins
http://www.zianet.com/bwd/securitybulletins.asp


Relevant Pages

  • Re: Outlook displays two identical Personal Folders
    ... Create a new mail profile and point it to reuse your current active .pst ... Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] ... ||| Folder in the folder list. ...
    (microsoft.public.outlook.installation)
  • Re: WTF is right with OE? and how to remove it. LONG!
    ... > you an SASE for a photo of those instructions. ... The instructions say Windows 2000, this works for XP as well just substitute ... the Windows folder for the Winnt folder used in the instructions. ... Outlook Express 5.x and 6.0 on a computer that is running Microsoft Windows ...
    (news.software.readers)
  • Re: archive bit not set on mail folders?
    ... Because of this tendency of attachments to infect, Microsoft has now set OE to block all attachments. ... Cannot Open E-Mail Attachments in Outlook Express After You Install SP1 ... If you choose to adjust OE to allow attachments, make sure you save the attachment to disk first and then scan it with your antivirus software. ... When a message is deleted, moved or marked as read in an OE message file, then wasted space is generated in that file, and the folder must be compacted to remove that wasted space. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress)
  • Re: lost ALL e-mail, not folders !
    ... a friend of mine has installed Windows XP on ... Because of this tendency of attachments to infect, Microsoft has now set OE to block all attachments. ... Cannot Open E-Mail Attachments in Outlook Express After You Install SP1 ... When a message is deleted, moved or marked as read in an OE message file, then wasted space is generated in that file, and the folder must be compacted to remove that wasted space. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress)
  • Re: msoe.dll
    ... Double-click to expand the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE folder, ... click to select the Microsoft Outlook ... Don't open attachments. ... > attachment to disk first and then scan it with your antivirus software. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress)