Re: NT and security in the near future

From: JoelN (joelsn@nospam.com)
Date: 06/07/02

From: "JoelN" <joelsn@nospam.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 11:40:55 -0400

I am not talking about me....just in general.
Not everyone who has NT or 98 will upgrade.
I have clients who will not upgrade the os until the software they use to
run ther business needs 2k/xp.

"James" <james.news@reather.com> wrote in message
> "JoelN" <joelsn@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > I am just wondering what alternatives there are to upgrading the
servers,
> > etc when MS stops providing patches for Windows NT/98 etc, in the near
> > future. I have a few clients who cannot/will not afford to upgrade just
> yet.
> > MS bashes need not respond.
>
> You've got one whole year (and three weeks!) until Win98 and NT4 stop
being
> supported....
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecycleconsumer.asp
>
> ...perhaps you should be planning to migrate to [ Windows 2000 | Windows
XP
> | Linux | <some other OS> ] during the coming year?
>
> James

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Need guidance on SMS 2.0 to 2003 Upgrade approach
    ... you should definately read the SMS documention throughly to make ... A site upgrade from SMS 2.0 to SMS 2003 may not succeed if SQL ... Upgrade secondary sites OR consolidate (by re-homing clients via Site ... Create an upgrade schedule for all 50 secondaries ...
    (microsoft.public.sms.admin)
  • Re: Some thoughts about Fedora Core 1 packages upgrade
    ... > upgrade hundreds of clients through Internet(big burden on Internet ... > building options, we have to download source RPMs as well, so there ... i'd recommend the apt-mirror script to be run once a day, ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Inplace Upgrade os SMS2.0 to 2003
    ... the distribution points so I know which ones need updating? ... >> Currently our SMS 2.0 Installation consists of a Central Site Server and one ... On the Central Site server there are roughly 700+ clients, ... > Site boundaries should be retained after the upgrade. ...
    (microsoft.public.sms.setup)
  • Re: High traffic from replication between DC!!! Please help.
    ... Have you thought about the problem that WIN2000 clients have when a WINNT ... I have done an inplace upgrade of the PDC, ... which I have left and configured as replication partners. ... There is at least one Global Catalog Server ...
  • Re: Upgrade Questons
    ... I think I would upgrade SQL first, but I guess that is just my personal ... preference because I know more about sms than about sql. ... > resources which would now include the resources from the secondary sites. ... clients cannot be assigned to secondary sites anyway. ...
    (microsoft.public.sms.setup)