Re: How to locate MSDE installations

From: Jeff Middleton [SBS-MVP] (jeff@cfisolutions.com)
Date: 05/30/02

From: "Jeff Middleton [SBS-MVP]" <jeff@cfisolutions.com>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 17:23:11 -0500

Robert, thanks for suggesting this. I had a great time playing around with
the GIF scanner products over the weekend, and then this week using them for
real. Really great tip!

"Robert Moir" <maranbat@bitey.force9.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Jeff Middleton [SBS-MVP]" <jeff@cfisolutions.com> wrote in message
> > Does MS provide the function in tools like MSBA (or something else)
> > specifically to locate installations of MSDE network wide or machine by
> > machine?
> >
> > MSDE is often provided in a bundle with a product that doesn't even
> identify
> > that it uses this engine in the background. I trying to see if there's a
> > simple way to find these installations, or if I should resort to making
> > script to hunt for the registry entries or services being installed on a
> > machine. Any thoughts?
>
> port scan to see if something is listening on port 1433
>
> Languard network scanner lets you do this, and its a free download from
> http://www.gfi.com/nsnetscan.shtml
>

> --
> --
> Robert Moir, Microsoft Windows 2000/NT MVP
> To search the MS Knowledge base use the link below:
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/search/c.asp?PSL=1
> My Homepage - http://www.robertmoir.co.uk
> ** Emailed questions will not be answered **

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Removing Unwanted Displays at Boot
    ... installations. ... Robert Smith ... This will force the classic logon screen ...
  • Re: the saga continues
    ... Robert S. Coren wrote: ... second flush is the old, high-volume one. ... go along with the notion that our guy installed it badly, cuz I *know* our guy, but this is looking like a near rash of bad installations, and seriously, wrong *size*? ...
    (soc.motss)
  • Re: The antenna cable must be earthed.
    ... It is in fact specified by local Councils for multi sat installations. ... Robert ...
    (uk.tech.digital-tv)