Re: ??? ?????? ??? +21?

"David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

I don't know why Dave K. posted this in m.p.s.v but it was in reference to
Egyptian spam
spamming alt.* virus/spyware realted news groups and his not understanding Code
Pages and Internationalism.

I have no way of knowing whether it's a legitimate post or not because I can't
read it! It's just ASCII to me. I commented here because I've seen some
posts with gibberish titles and/or gibberish senders that were indeed relevant
posts for this newsgroup. That's why I posted.

I also don't know why he can say "No, YOU don't understand that Usenet is
American...".

Ameri-centrism can be problematic. The fact is Usenet is International.

I'm not an American imperialist. In fact, when I travel out of the country I
don't even identify myself as American. I'm a San Franciscan. International
people know the difference.

No, what I'm saying is that Usenet was developed in the United States using
ASCII. ASCII is an American standard; that's what the "A" stands for! It
does not use non-English characters. It doesn't even use Spanish characters.
Those are all extended-set (128 to 256) or double-byte characters. The
extended set is non-standard. Microsoft and Apple agreed somewhat and have
similar extended sets, but there are differences. And don't even try to
figure out the differences in extended-set in Unix or Linux.

.