Re: Tantanos

From: "Eric Allen" <eric-allen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

| David H. Lipman wrote:
From: "Eric Allen" <eric-allen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

< snip >

I hope you do NOT have BOTH AVG and Avast installed on the SAME PC!

It is one or the other, not both.

| one at a time, so I'm guessing the simsesys was getting false possitives.

Most likely, yes. Flase Positive.

When you say "one at a time" you mean install #1, scan the system. Remove #1
Install #2 scan the system ?

| yep

OK :-)

Here's another suggestion...
Use my Multi AV Scanning Tool. Scan with the sophos and McAfee modules. Since they are
"On Demand" only scanners that can happy co-exist with the Avast (or AVG) you presently
have installed.

Download MULTI_AV.EXE from the URL --
http://www.pctip.ch/ds/28400/28470/Multi_AV.exe
or
http://212.98.39.7/ds/28400/28470/Multi_AV.exe

http://www.pctip.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp
or
http://212.98.39.7/downloads/dl/35905.asp

English:
http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2008/01/09/scan-your-computer-with-multiple-anti-virus-for-free/

Choose; Unzip
Choose; Close

Execute; C:\AV-CLS\StartMenu.BAT

This will bring up the initial menu of choices and should be executed in Normal Mode.
This way all the components can be downloaded from each AV vendor's web site.
The choices are; Sophos, Trend, McAfee, Kaspersky, Exit this menu and Reboot the PC.

file.

  • Re: major virus problem
    ... would a repair install help? ... The submission will then be tested against many different AV vendor's scanners. ... FireWall to allow it to download the needed AV vendor related files. ... This will bring up the initial menu of choices and should be executed in Normal Mode. ...
    (alt.comp.anti-virus)
  • Re: Need some help with Alcan Worm... Please help!
    ... will make the PPPoE connection. ... a utility that provides 3 different anti virus scanners from; ... This will bring up the initial menu of choices and should be executed in Normal Mode. ... You can choose to go to each menu item and just download the needed files or you can ...
    (alt.comp.anti-virus)
  • Re: spoolsv32.exe
    ... The submission will then be tested against 18 different AV vendor's scanners. ... This will bring up the initial menu of choices and should be executed in Normal Mode. ... You can choose to go to each menu item and just download the needed files or you can ... Execute; Multi_AV.exe ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: Severe explorer.exe problem - NEED HELP
    ... > | I also had both Google Desktop Search and MSN Desktop search installed. ... All of the software I have on my system takes days to install ... > FireWall to allow it to download the needed AV vendor related files. ... > This will bring up the initial menu of choices and should be executed in Normal Mode. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Malware seen during scan but security suite not catching it.
    ... | Have you tried Windows Live OneCare (a free malware scan from Microsoft)? ... MS OneCare is one of the worst anti virus scanners in the anti virus market. ... FireWall to allow it to download the needed AV vendor related files. ... This will bring up the initial menu of choices and should be executed in Normal Mode. ...