malware scanners find renamed files

Hi, I recently fought off some malware on my laptop pc. One of the steps I
had to do was rename (extension) some things in the Recovery Console. My
system now seems to be fine once again.
My questions are these....What do I need to do, if anything, with the few
files that I renamed in RC? I renamed, for examp, the userinit.exe file
extention.
So far my system is running ok. The only thing that I have had issues with
is that my internet keeps 'coming and going"; meaning my broswer (IE7 or
firefox), or anything randomly loses connectivity. It happens ONLY to my
laptop. And almost daily.

Yest I did a spybot search & destroy scan and says it found coolwebsearch
and it associates itself with the winlogon.old file. Not sure but I think
that was one of the ones I renamed. Should I delete all that my
virus/spyware scanners find, even if its one of these renames? Do malware
scanners typically 'find' and consider these renames threats?
Thanks in advance
Windows XP home edition sp2

  • Re: malware scanners find renamed files
    ... malware or malwares]? ... Internet loss can be caused by multiple issues. ... virus/spyware scanners find, even if its one of these renames? ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: malware scanners find renamed files
    ... Because of multi malware, and removing it by AVG (it removed I think a file ... that has to do with loging into windows), I was not able to log on to ... Internet loss can be caused by multiple issues. ... even if its one of these renames? ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: malware scanners find renamed files
    ... virus/spyware scanners find, even if its one of these renames? ... you might later re-arrange the puzzle into ... Also check all your temp type folders and locations ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: REGEDIT started and dissapeared
    ... If the malware ... deletes or renames your regedit.exe you will still be able to run ... regedit.com in order to make modifications in your registry. ... Prev by Date: ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.general)