Re: Security / encryption

"1PW" <1PW@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Bill R wrote:
Apologies for this post not being strictly on topic but the security
is the closest I could find.

Perhaps "" would have been appropriate.

I am looking for a way to secure key files. Password protection offers
protection but it can be cracked very easily. I have looked at
as an alternative. It seems as though a whole folder (not individual
need to be encrypted and that files within those folders may be opened on
that computer. I need to secure a number of files contained in several
folders (but, preferably, not complete folders). Files are routinely
to a flash drive from which I need to open the files.

I would appreciate any guidance - especially from users with the same
circumstances - as how to proceed.

Bill Ridgeway

Try looking into TrueCrypt. TrueCrypt may be used on any platform.

The main features of Truecrypt include (SNIP)-
Creates a virtual encrypted disk within a file and mounts it as a real
Encrypts an entire partition or storage device such as USB flash drive
or hard drive.
Encrypts a partition or drive where Windows is installed (pre-boot
Encryption is automatic, real-time (on-the-fly) and transparent.

My main requirements are to encrypt / decrypt on the fly a number of
files ranging over a number of folders (but not complete folders). I also
need to be able to open those files on another media to which they have been
transferred. Neither of these requirements seem to be possible with

Any other suggestions please?

Bill Ridgeway

Relevant Pages