Security / encryption

Apologies for this post not being strictly on topic but the security aspect
is the closest I could find.

I am looking for a way to secure key files. Password protection offers some
protection but it can be cracked very easily. I have looked at encryption
as an alternative. It seems as though a whole folder (not individual files)
need to be encrypted and that files within those folders may be opened on
that computer. I need to secure a number of files contained in several
folders (but, preferably, not complete folders). Files are routinely copied
to a flash drive from which I need to open the files.

I would appreciate any guidance - especially from users with the same
circumstances - as how to proceed.

Thanks.

Bill Ridgeway

.