Security / encryption

Apologies for this post not being strictly on topic but the security aspect
is the closest I could find.

I am looking for a way to secure key files. Password protection offers some
protection but it can be cracked very easily. I have looked at encryption
as an alternative. It seems as though a whole folder (not individual files)
need to be encrypted and that files within those folders may be opened on
that computer. I need to secure a number of files contained in several
folders (but, preferably, not complete folders). Files are routinely copied
to a flash drive from which I need to open the files.

I would appreciate any guidance - especially from users with the same
circumstances - as how to proceed.

Thanks.

Bill Ridgeway

  • Re: Can I password Protect a folder?
    ... >>> Encryption has nothing to do with keeping users out of folders. ... >>The subject is password protection, password protection can do that - far ... encryption needs a password to decrypt the data. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Security / encryption
    ... I am looking for a way to secure key files. ... Password protection offers some ... I have looked at encryption ... folders. ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: delete files w/zeros
    ... DoD 5220.22-M ... Anytime you see "DoD 5220.22-M compliant for standards of cleaning and ... children, but believe me it works great for securing files, folders, ... Are you telling me I can keep my secret stuff and just secure it? ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: use of random alphanumeric folder names
    ... I am using .htaccess and .htpasswd. ... Generally Apache discourage relying on .htaccess for security (much ... company as I know one which does allow the creation of folders outside ... They this is secure but seems not to be secure to me? ...
    (comp.lang.php)
  • Re: Need help selecting file encryption software
    ... >Windows XP/2K with NTFS allows encryption of folders, ... But this is the case only for mode 1 syskey/EFS encryption ... Anyone defeating the Windows password ... syskey password protection can also be maliciously removed. ...
    (comp.security.misc)