Re: Will my pc be cured if i format

From: "Connorav" <Connorav@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

| Ok i tried formatting the c drive and it wont let me because programs on it
| are in use (maybe windows itself?:S) so I tried booting from disk.I tried
| wiht the windows disk present and it simply loads me into windows.Im starting
| to think this is going to be awkward, would it be worth getting a
| professional to do this?

1. If you have a MBR RootKit a simple format will not healp.

2. If you have plain old pita malware yes, a format will remove them (andy everything
else, even the good stuff).

3. The above is true if you have just a "C:" drive, a drive that is partitioned or
multiple hard disks.

4. You do NOT format from within the OS. You boot off the Windows OS distribution CD,
delete the partition table, recreate the partition, reformat and then re-install the OS.

If the above sounds complicated... Take it to a professional.

Multi-AV -

Relevant Pages

  • Re: How to force discarding of invalid cached partition contents?
    ... If I were doing a format then I'd include a call to IOCTL_DISK_UPDATE_PROPERTIES. ... According to MSDN this call is necessary when doing something like changing a FAT32 partition to NTFS, but my recent experiments make me wonder if Windows would still corrupt the resulting partition anyway. ... When the partition has a drive letter, Windows Explorer and/or some other parts of Windows XP read and cache a portion of the contents. ...
  • Re: Format C:
    ... > The Windows XP CD is bootable and contains all the tools necessary ... > to partition and format your drive. ... Clean Install Windows XP ...
  • Re: How to force discarding of invalid cached partition contents?
    ... You might want to, before beginning the format sequence, obtain an exclusive ... When the partition has a drive letter, Windows ...
  • Re: NTLDR File is missing Msg upon Windows startup
    ... The option to format with FAT and FAT32 are there. ... use Windows 98 SE Startup Diskette and also BootIt NG program from a Floppy ... It also has the ability to create Partition Images. ... Both Hard Drives, do not need to be partitioned the same, unless you ...
  • Re: Computers in Philately.
    ... I still use the HP with Windows 98 offline. ... The borrowed laptop I am using has Vista, ... stamp files created with MS Office 2000 are compatable with Vista. ... format to open into the current version under Win-7 or HLV. ...