Re: Have I got a virus?

On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 03:39:32 -0800, Malke <malke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

nospam@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Can anyone help?
For the last two days I find that on my PC (using XP), whenever I use
Yahoo or Google search, and using either MSIE or Firefox, I am
redirected to pages that do not seem to be the one listed on the
search engines and tend to be commercially-based.
The uurls of gallane.com, bediidle.com, and xalab.com seem
to appear a lot in the bottom line of the browser while the search
engines works.

(examples with possible malicious urls snipped)

And yet on doing this on an old PC, I click on the Yahoo listing and
go to:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/buddhism/

Have I got a virus or something nasty on my PC?

I have done umpteen scans using AVG and Avast! and both report there
are no viruses.

It certainly sounds like your computer has been hijacked by malware. If you
are running two antivirus programs, that can also cause problems (although
not the hijacking) and you should uninstall one of them. Of the two you've
got, I prefer Avast. Most antivirus programs will not detect non-viral
malware. For that you need an antimalware program.

Go through the malware removal steps here:

Do not skip the prep work. Because I don't know how current your antivirus
programs are, I would suggest including the scanning with David Lipman's
Multi-AV to be on the safe side.

When all else fails, get guided help. Choose one of the specialty forums
listed at the first link. Register and read its posting FAQ. PLEASE DO NOT
POST LOGS IN THE MS NEWSGROUPS.

If you can't do the work yourself (and there is no shame in admitting this
isn't your cup of tea), take the machine to a professional computer repair
shop (not your local equivalent of BigComputerStore/GeekSquad). Please be
aware that not all local shops are skilled at removing malware and even if
they are, your computer may be so infested that Windows will need to be
clean-installed. If possible, have all your data backed up before you take
the machine into a shop.

Malke

Many thnaks. Phew! COMPLICATED!
I have a modem - NETGEAR - would this be infected or affected by the
malware?
Secondly, would I solve the problem by reformmating HD and
reinstalling XP?
Thanks
David

  • Re: uthgnaz.exe - what the heck is it?
    ... Go through these general malware removal steps systematically - ... Include scanning with David Lipman's Multi_AV and follow instructions to ... shop (not your local equivalent of BigComputerStore/GeekSquad). ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: problems with unwanted websites popping up
    ... Go through these general malware removal steps systematically - ... Include scanning with David Lipman's Multi_AV and follow instructions to do ... machine to a professional computer repair shop (not your local equivalent ... all your data backed up before you take the machine into a shop. ...
  • Re: Reoccuring Rogue
    ... SUPERantispyware, which is several times a week. ... It is common for malware to respawn. ... machine to a professional computer repair shop (not your local equivalent ... all your data backed up before you take the machine into a shop. ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: baaad virus
    ... Go through these general malware removal steps systematically - ... Include scanning with David Lipman's Multi_AV and follow instructions to do ... machine to a professional computer repair shop (not your local equivalent ... all your data backed up before you take the machine into a shop. ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: My 084uapqy.exe stops working help!!!!!!
    ... Go through these general malware removal steps systematically - ... Include scanning with David Lipman's Multi_AV and follow instructions to do ... shop (not your local equivalent of BigComputerStore/GeekSquad). ...