"David H. Lipman" wrote:

From: "paintlover70" <paintlover70@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

| Operating system is Windows XP.
| Antivirus program is AVG Free.
| Recently my AVG program would not update. I keep receiving a message that
| states it cannot connect with the server. I went to the website for AVG free
| and found out that my computer is most likely infected with a Malware. There
| was a discussion on this site about how to get help with the problem.
| Suggestions were to a couple of different virus/malware programs, re-install
| AVG free, check the TCP-IP settings as well as HOSTS.
| Unfortunately just about any virus, malware, spyware site I go to the
| Internet page will not open, yet I know they work because I am able to open
| them on my laptop computer.
| I ran Windows Defender, Windows live care, CCleaner & Adware (ones that I
| already have on my desktop), and all came back with no issues.
| I tried to un-install AVG so that I could install Kaspersky and I keep
| receiving a message from Kaspersky saying that AVG has not been uninstalled.

| I really could use some help in trying to remove whatever it is that has
| infected my computer....
| It has reached the point where I am having trouble opening websites and I
| worry about any of my programs that I currently use and back up religiously
| on flash drives. I don't want to save whatever virus, etc. onto the flash
| drive and transfer it to my laptop.

Please fully elaborate on your symptoms. All I got out of the above was "having trouble
opening websites ".

Besides "having trouble opening websites ", what are you experiencing and specifically
what web sites can't you open ?

  • Re: Unable to watch streaming video from television websites
    ... embedded ads not showing up in websites, but this happens on all websites, ... I uninstalled Norton and installed AVG last year sometime. ... IE, tools menu, Options, Security tab, highlight the "Restricted Sites" ... I go to CBS.com to watch a video, ...
  • Re: AVG virus protection
    ... I turn the virus protection off. ... when I turn it back on, websites don't open that use to open fine. ... Comcast internet provider said that when virus protections update, ... Does anyone know AVG and how to change these settings or what I can do? ...
  • Malicious Code On Rise: Web Sites Responsible
    ... In the first quarter of 2007, security firm Sophos ... day infected with so-called malware. ... The report was released during InfoSec, ... Sophos reported that 70% of infected websites were legitimate sites ...
    (comp.dcom.telecom)
  • Re: Firefox, AVG, and Infections
    ... | infections, three were trojans, several tracking cookies (associated ... | Yahoo s/w isn't doing its job, or AVG is much too sensitive to them. ... viral malware and you in your own words have indicated AVG found several trojans. ... Surely you jest about a standards comittee on malware. ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)