Re: Adware infection

news:%23fz3rB$UJHA.1360@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "Jo-Anne" <Jo-AnneATnowhere.com>

| This weekend my computer suddenly slowed way down, and I briefly saw a
| "blank screen" window in IE that shouldn't have been there. My OS is
WinXP
| SP3, fully updated. My antivirus is NIS 2008.

| Last night I ran the Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool, which
found
| nothing.

| Today I downloaded Spyware Blaster and SuperAntiSpyware. I ran
| SuperAntiSpyware, and it found 14 instances of Adware tracking cookies
and
| 31 files for Adware Vundo Variant/Rel. It removed everything, and I
| restarted my computer, which now seems to be running at its usual speed.

| Is there anything else I should do to make sure my computer is clean?

| Thank you!

| Jo-Anne

Because you had the Vundo Trojan, I suggest Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

Thank you, Dave! I downloaded and ran Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, which
discovered 6 more infected items: Adware.Minibug, registry key;
Malware.Trace, registry key; and Trojan.Vundo, 2 registry keys and 1 file.
Do you think I should try any other programs in case something is still
lurking?

Jo-Anne

  • Re: End Program - sw error
    ... Open Task Manager and see if sw.exe is running. ... to the registry key: ... Every window that you open and interacted with. ... Auto End Tasks to Enable a Proper Shutdown ...
  • Re: Windows Explorer Folder resize problem (WindowsXP-SP2)
    ... There are two distinct/different Shell Registry keys - ... Did you apply the Bag MRU size increase to the ShellNoRoam as well? ... The resizing is only saved if I resize the root window *My Computer*. ... to increase the "Bag MRU size" registry key value to something higher ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Adding My Music to the classic start menu
    ... Have any idea what registry key might control ... Click on the startup tab and then, in the startup tab window, click ... Click on the option marked 'display as a menu' then ... The information in this mail/post is supplied "as is". ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize)
  • Re: Error 1402 - whats causing this???
    ... Bitte in den Newsgroup antworten damit jeder etwas davon hat. ... I get a window as if a installation is trying to happen ... Setup cannot open the registry key. ...
    (microsoft.public.outlook.general)
  • Re: Cant solve C00D11F8 problem
    ... Under the registry key ... See http://www.nwlink.com/~zachd/pss/pss.html for some helpful WMP info. ... > window, when I doubleclick on Properties for the drive, nothing happens. ... > On the "fix" page you suggest, I tried the fix to restore ASPI files. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player)