Re: Alerting - Malicious software removal tool

In article <9AAC7AE5-48B8-4E88-9163-59674962BF01@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
steve.riley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx says...
Leythos, which "security people" claim the tool is useless?

Your claim is certainly unsubstantiated by the data. We released the tool in
early 2005. As of June 2008, the tool has executed almost three billion
times and has performed over 62 million disinfections on almost 24 million
distinct computers.

This information, plus much more research, is available from our
twice-yearly Security Intelligence Report. You can download the latest
edition from http://www.microsoft.com/sir. You can see a list of the malware
families the MSRT recognizes at
http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/families.mspx; we update

How many people, other than MS people, do you see suggesting that it's
the proper tool to use when removing malware?

How many people, other than MS people, do you see suggesting that
compromised computers should be cleaned with it?

How many machines were not cleaned by the MS provided tool?

You don't have to take my word for any of it, all you have to do is a
LITTLE research to see that noone in the community puts any serious
faith in using the tool.

I have NO connection to any vendors products or tools, I have no
investment in any vendors products or tools - I make this statement to
affirm that my opinion is not biased by greed.

My personal experience with over 3700 machines this year, is that it's
not effective when compared to other tools. I think the MSRT is a noble
effort and was a good thing, but actually securing the OS would have
been more worthy and a better allocation of money.

drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"
spam999free@xxxxxxxxxx (remove 999 for proper email address)

  • Re: HijackThis Log Help
    ... The point is that if we teach people that we can mostly clean their ... machines, that it's good enough, and they don't feel the "pain", not ... Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented worker" is like calling a ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Button click event handler not called.
    ... so the calling must be marshaled to the ... have you tried your application on other machines? ... For me, I will place a breakpoint in normal Button.Click event handler, ... stack methods one-by-one to see when clicking the button, ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.windowsforms.controls)
  • Re: Cannot install catalog file with SetupCopyOemInf() on 64bit OS
    ... calling SetupCopyOemInf() from my setup.exe. ... On 32bit machines, everything works fine, but somehow on 64bit machines, the ... To test this function, I tried another driver on the 64bit machine, but it ... co-installer, WdfCoInstaller01005.dll, so I'm kind of guessing ...
  • Re: Workstations showing logon failures by users can still logon?
    ... did you really mean to indicate Windows 95 machines? ... login failures when the users do log in. ... you had SPNEGO failures getting recorded? ... Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented worker" is like calling a ...
  • Re: xp reliability
    ... Because most of the ignorant masses would never know they've been ... compromised and their machines could be used as bot nets. ... Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented worker" is like calling a ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)