Re: cant boot into safe mode have antivirus xp 2008

Dusty wrote:

You just answered the million dollar question for me in #2. I was
assuming that if I bought the USB housing and put either of my two HD's
that it would
just be plug and play and that no data would be lost. Though, everyone I
have asked has told me that I would lose all of my data (I am not trusting
their answers though, especially after one of those people told me to just
flash my bios to fix my pc).

I do have a copy of Unbuntu around here somewhere, would that work?
Otherwise I would probably have to order a copy of knoppix (no access to a
cd burner).
Once I install one of the open source OS's would I just be able to access
my
files the same as usual? I would be installing it as a dual partition
right?

Actually, I meant to say that I thought #2 was the easiest for most people.
My apologies for my slip. Just get an external hard drive enclosure (useful
to have anyway), set the jumpers on your hard drive to Master if it's IDE
(SATA doesn't have jumpers), and attach it via USB to your working
computer. Of course you won't lose any of your data by doing that.

You can use Ubuntu or Knoppix, but you don't install it. You use it as a
Live CD. This means you boot with it and the Linux OS runs in memory, not
touching your hard drive. Here are general instructions for data retrieval
with Knoppix just in case you want them for now or the future:

*****
You will need a computer with two cd drives, one of which is a cd/dvd-rw OR
a usb thumb drive with enough capacity to hold your data OR an external
usb/firewire hard drive formatted FAT32 (not NTFS)*. To get Knoppix, you
need a computer with a fast Internet connection and third-party burning
software. Download the Knoppix .iso and create your bootable cd. Then boot
with it and it will be able to see the Windows files. If you are using the
usb thumb drive or the external hard drive, right-click on its icon (on the
Desktop) to get its properties and uncheck the box that says "Read Only".
Then click on it to open it. Note that the default mouse action in the
window manager used by Knoppix (KDE) is a single click to open instead of
the traditional MS Windows' double-click. If you want to burn CD/DVDs, use
the K3b program.

*My understanding is that you can now write to an NTFS partition from Linux.
If you wish to do this, Google for instructions.

http://www.knoppix.net
*****

Malke
--