Re: cant boot into safe mode have antivirus xp 2008

Dusty wrote:

You just answered the million dollar question for me in #2. I was
assuming that if I bought the USB housing and put either of my two HD's
that it would
just be plug and play and that no data would be lost. Though, everyone I
have asked has told me that I would lose all of my data (I am not trusting
their answers though, especially after one of those people told me to just
flash my bios to fix my pc).

I do have a copy of Unbuntu around here somewhere, would that work?
Otherwise I would probably have to order a copy of knoppix (no access to a
cd burner).
Once I install one of the open source OS's would I just be able to access
my
files the same as usual? I would be installing it as a dual partition
right?

Actually, I meant to say that I thought #2 was the easiest for most people.
My apologies for my slip. Just get an external hard drive enclosure (useful
to have anyway), set the jumpers on your hard drive to Master if it's IDE
(SATA doesn't have jumpers), and attach it via USB to your working
computer. Of course you won't lose any of your data by doing that.

You can use Ubuntu or Knoppix, but you don't install it. You use it as a
Live CD. This means you boot with it and the Linux OS runs in memory, not
touching your hard drive. Here are general instructions for data retrieval
with Knoppix just in case you want them for now or the future:

*****
You will need a computer with two cd drives, one of which is a cd/dvd-rw OR
a usb thumb drive with enough capacity to hold your data OR an external
usb/firewire hard drive formatted FAT32 (not NTFS)*. To get Knoppix, you
need a computer with a fast Internet connection and third-party burning
software. Download the Knoppix .iso and create your bootable cd. Then boot
with it and it will be able to see the Windows files. If you are using the
usb thumb drive or the external hard drive, right-click on its icon (on the
Desktop) to get its properties and uncheck the box that says "Read Only".
Then click on it to open it. Note that the default mouse action in the
window manager used by Knoppix (KDE) is a single click to open instead of
the traditional MS Windows' double-click. If you want to burn CD/DVDs, use
the K3b program.

*My understanding is that you can now write to an NTFS partition from Linux.
If you wish to do this, Google for instructions.

http://www.knoppix.net
*****

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

  • Re: Is it possible or am I dreaming ?
    ... As I see what you wrote, then the first thing those system engenieers should do in that organisation is to remove all USB ports, Floppy disk stations and CD/DVD readers and all what looks like this from their workstations. ... instance of .NET on those exact same computers, ... I' m not attempting to install any software here ... number of expensive large CAD and CAE software within given Windows ...
  • Re: Problems installing FC4 on Dell Optiplex GX620
    ... Did you ever try to install Windows 2000 or XP ... Windows 2000 was not installable from a USB CDROM when I attempted to try that method. ... Newer versions of Linux distributions can either regress or progress. ... The original question was in regard to getting the person able to install on a system Dell Optiplex GX620 which can be configured in a host of different form factors. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: winXP not recognize USB driver of camcorder.
    ... >> I install the USB driver first, ... >> and camcorder with the USB cable. ... The Windows Add ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.video)
  • Re: USB not an available option to install
    ... Just went though a install and reinstall of a Canon N1000 printer via ... USB (Windows 98) and am here to tell you that you cannot always go by ... new hardware and is building drivers for it. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.printing)
  • Re: MP3 HARDWARE AND DRIVER WONT LOAD
    ... have all critical updates and any recommended USB updates installed. ... > I have Windows 2000 and I think I have the same kind of problem. ... > tried troubleshooting the device like Danny did, and my mp3 player did ... > install one time, but I couldn't put any files into the removable drive. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)