Re: Spybot say REGFIX.EXE is a threat - why?

"Leythos" <void@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
In article <eQht0JKqIHA.2208@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Erratic@xxxxxxxxx
says...
"Leythos" <void@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
In article <OX4qnxAqIHA.1768@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Erratic@xxxxxxxxx
says...
Microsoft's servers don't seem to carry any non-microsoft groups,
but
they
do use the NNTP protocol for usenet.
If she checks she will find that many ISP/Business and even
personal
servers carry the MS groups, once MS makes them public any Usenet
server
can subscribe to them.
...or archive them.
In a sense, NNTP goes beyond USENET and can be used
outside of usenet at large. Jen posting from there makes the
statement true for her except for the fact that her posts are
broadcast and propagated to usenet at large.
So *this* is usenet, but what she experiences is microsoft's
microcosm of newsgroups because of the limits imposed by
microsoft by only carrying their groups.
I agree, with this change - MS is doing their part on Usenet service
in
the facilities, they ARE using Usenet and have also provided a web
interface for it.

The NNTP *protocal* That MS newsserver uses IS NOT USENET, period. I
see you *still* don't get it... Oh well...

-jen

  • Re: Usenet is dying
    ... For me usenet and mailing lists are still the most instantaneous ... help by dropping NNTP servers and 'managing' NNTP traffic. ... prioritise 'media rich' browsing over plain text despite the lower ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)
  • Can we kill the spammers?
    ... Usenet is a peer-to-peer network of thousands of NNTP ... servers around the globe. ... Google is just one of these thousands ... There are folks can point you to info on nntp and how it really works. ...
    (rec.audio.pro)
  • Re: Any suggestion for Access forums after June 1?
    ... I meant the Microsoft NNTP newsgroup servers will ... My Earthlink UseNET server carries them all. ... The MS NNTP server will close, and the web interface to that server ... But the newsgroups can and will continue to be propagated on all the ...
    (microsoft.public.access.formscoding)
  • Re: Newsreader suggestions?
    ... While you can't really argue that NNTP has stood the test of time, ... yEnc, servers with 80,000 groups, ... Cancels and supersedes are part of the territory, ... Usenet and torrents. ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)
  • Re: NGM and species sightings
    ... Usenet is merely 1 protocol (news: or NNTP). ... I'm a novice, but I got better. ... no currents to speak of on lakes. ...
    (rec.backcountry)