Re: System Mechanic 7 Professional

On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 15:56:01 -0500, "someone" <someone@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

My local paper has a column today concerning System Mechanic 7 Professional,
praising it very highly. It diagnoses the PC, backs up the registry, gets
rid of clutter, fixes security problems and defrags the hard drive. The
anti-virus program checks for the latest protection every hour, has a
firewall, and a Search and Recover. It works in the background to monitor
the PC without slowing it down. The cost is $39 plus $6 shipping. It did
not state whether that is a one-time charge or an annual charge, but it did
state that you get free anti-virus updates for a year, indicating possibly
that it is an annual charge. Does anyone have any comment concerning this?

I worked on a client's comptuer where System Mechanic 6 messed up the
registry and made the computer unbootable.

I fixed the problem by restoring the registry as decribed in Microsoft
KB article 307545. I then un-installed System Mechanic 6, but it left
bits of itself behind, including a program that runs as a service at
system startup: ioloDMVSvc.exe. That problem apparently exists in
System Mechanic 7, too, as described here:

http://www.wrensoft.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1451

I wouldn't buy the product, and I wouldn't use any automated registry
cleaner.
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

  • Re: Do updates previously applied to XP slow it down?
    ... The size of my registry has doubled, so any operation using the registry is ... be aware that some anti-virus and some spyware programs run in the ... Search-type functions are definitely slower. ... This might be part of windows update or windows genuine ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: System Mechanic 7 Professional
    ... It diagnoses the PC, backs up the registry, gets ... not state whether that is a one-time charge or an annual charge, ... Steve Winograd, MS-MVP ... Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news group ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: buddy
    ... automated registry "cleaners," I can only advise people to avoid them ... far more than I would any automated registry cleaner. ... > Anyone who is online must have anti-virus software. ... > can clean the registry, clear temporary files, restore ...
  • Re: Duplicate Software
    ... Which of the software are duplicates, ... Norton Anti-virus; it's in my view, ... Cleaning of the registry isn't needed and is dangerous. ... and what vendors of registry cleaning software ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Why do applications run faster with a fresh install of Windows XP?
    ... Smaller Registry, Less interactions, no Anti-Virus ... > real-time scanning. ... create another folder and move the email to that folder. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)