Re: TrojanSpy.Goldun --- Format=Cure?

From: "1234" <1234@xxxxxxxx>

| Hello,
|
| I have XP SP2 on an HP machine. I've been wanting to wipe it clean and
| restore to original configuration, just haven't gotten to it. Yesterday
| Ad-Aware found a list of items associated with WIN32.TrojanSpy.Goldun
| (Folder, Regkeys, RegValues, File C:\info.exe).
|
| My first instinct had me gathering removal information. My next thought
| was -- maybe this was a perfect time to format and restore.
|
| My question is this: Will Formatting and perfoming a Restore or Recovery to
| factory settings wipe the Trojan as well? If not, what else would be
| needed? Seems like a waste of time to attack and remove the intruder if it
| will die in the formatting process anyway.
|
| I've been using a different machine to change any passwords used on the
| infected one so none of them will be vulnerable. Is there anything else I
| should be thinking of?
|
| Thanks for any thoughts. I'm out of my area here.
| Ellen

If you were prepared to wip the PC, go for it.
Wiping the PC (format & restore) will definitely remove this Trojan.

  • Re: Unallocated space marked as allocated in MFT
    ... Hi Jabez, ... running Windows XP when it suddenly crashed. ... >> You say to format the C drive using any method. ... >> to restore the backed up C drive to the now formatted C drive. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.file_system)
  • Re: Internet Explorer, Visual C++ Runtime Error
    ... I work for an ISP, in tech support, so i talk to people alllllllll day ... I'd still hate to have to format. ... > adware and spyware is becoming a major problem. ... >>I also tried to run a system restore back to a previous date. ...
  • Re: TrojanSpy.Goldun --- Format=Cure?
    ... | restore to original configuration, ... | factory settings wipe the Trojan as well? ... Wiping the PC (format & restore) will definitely remove this Trojan. ... say that it came with Adobe Reader, or that it's just imposed itself on that ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: Unallocated space marked as allocated in MFT
    ... You say to format the C drive using any method. ... to restore the backed up C drive to the now formatted C drive. ... Format the partition. ... > Microsoft MVP: Windows Server ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.file_system)
  • Re: Internet Explorer, Visual C++ Runtime Error
    ... problems sometimes it's best to bite the bullet and format and reinstall. ... adware and spyware is becoming a major problem. ... > taken care of when i updated windows, ... > I also tried to run a system restore back to a previous date. ...