Re: Help- I think I have virus in my computer

msen wrote:
I have a windows XP with IE 7.
I went to a website yesterday where I was able to see free trailers of movies. Since then, I am getting pop ups on my computer and the following window msg appears on the screen:
"Windows File Protection: Files that are required for windows to run properly have been replaced by unknown versions.."

Any suggestions ?

Go through these general malware removal steps systematically - http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Removing_Malware

Include scanning with David Lipman's Multi_AV and follow instructions to do all scans in Safe Mode. Please see the special Notes regarding using Multi_AV in Vista.

http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Multi-AV - instructions
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/sicherheit/35905/multi_av_scanning_tool.html - download site

The site is in German but David's tool is in English so don't let that worry you. Scroll all the way down to almost the bottom of the page and you'll see a box titled "Infos Zum Download - Multi-AV Scanning Tool". You'll see "Download von www pctipp.ch" and the live link to download Multi_AV.

You can also check to see if there are targeted removal steps for your malware here:
Bleeping Computer removal how-to's - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum55.html

When all else fails, run HijackThis and post your log in one of the specialty forums listed at the first link above (not here, please).

Not all tools used will work in Vista and you will need to run them elevated. Since Vista is so new, it will be a while before removal techniques and tools are developed. If you are unable to remove the infection by following the general steps, register at one of the HijackThis forums as suggested.

Standard caveat: If the procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting this isn't your cup of tea - take the machine to a professional computer repair shop (not your local version of BigComputerStore/GeekSquad). Please be aware that not all local shops are skilled at removing malware and even if they are, your computer may be so infested that Windows will need to be clean-installed. Have all your data backed up before you take the machine into a shop.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com