Re: Help- I think I have virus in my computer

msen wrote:
I have a windows XP with IE 7.
I went to a website yesterday where I was able to see free trailers of movies. Since then, I am getting pop ups on my computer and the following window msg appears on the screen:
"Windows File Protection: Files that are required for windows to run properly have been replaced by unknown versions.."

Any suggestions ?

Go through these general malware removal steps systematically - http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Removing_Malware

Include scanning with David Lipman's Multi_AV and follow instructions to do all scans in Safe Mode. Please see the special Notes regarding using Multi_AV in Vista.

http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Multi-AV - instructions
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/sicherheit/35905/multi_av_scanning_tool.html - download site

The site is in German but David's tool is in English so don't let that worry you. Scroll all the way down to almost the bottom of the page and you'll see a box titled "Infos Zum Download - Multi-AV Scanning Tool". You'll see "Download von www pctipp.ch" and the live link to download Multi_AV.

You can also check to see if there are targeted removal steps for your malware here:
Bleeping Computer removal how-to's - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum55.html

When all else fails, run HijackThis and post your log in one of the specialty forums listed at the first link above (not here, please).

Not all tools used will work in Vista and you will need to run them elevated. Since Vista is so new, it will be a while before removal techniques and tools are developed. If you are unable to remove the infection by following the general steps, register at one of the HijackThis forums as suggested.

Standard caveat: If the procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting this isn't your cup of tea - take the machine to a professional computer repair shop (not your local version of BigComputerStore/GeekSquad). Please be aware that not all local shops are skilled at removing malware and even if they are, your computer may be so infested that Windows will need to be clean-installed. Have all your data backed up before you take the machine into a shop.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

  • Vista sp1 update error 8007000 fixed....because I care
    ... Run Reset Windows Update Tool and System Update Readiness Tool ... Please download and run System Update Readiness Tool from the link below according to the System Type: ... System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista 32-bit ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Simple Video Edtitng Software ?
    ... I would not suggest a Vista switch under any circumstances until Microsoft gets to at least Service Pack 2, possibly 3, and I can't imagine any good reason why I would want to switch the OS given how well Parallels unifies the two environments of OSX and Windows. ... It took ten minutes for the "Preparing for download" progress bar to reach 100%, but it still went on "preparing" for four more minutes before the download actually started. ...
    (rec.video.desktop)
  • Re: Security Toolbar 7.1
    ... Go through these general malware removal steps systematically - ... Multi_AV in Vista. ... You'll see "Download von www pctipp.ch" and the live link to download ... your data backed up before you take the machine into a shop. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: I may have a virus, help!!!!
    ... Scroll all the way down to almost the bottom of the page and you'll see a box titled "Infos Zum Download - Multi-AV Scanning Tool". ... Not all tools used will work in Vista and you will need to run them elevated. ... If the procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting this isn't your cup of tea - take the machine to a professional computer repair shop. ... Please be aware that not all local shops are skilled at removing malware and even if they are, your computer may be so infested that Windows will need to be clean-installed. ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: Blue Screen after Boot
    ... She clicked the x to exit but many popup windows appeared and it has not worked properly since. ... Scroll all the way down to almost the bottom of the page and you'll see a box titled "Infos Zum Download - Multi-AV Scanning Tool". ... If the procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting this isn't your cup of tea - take the machine to a professional computer repair shop. ... Please be aware that not all local shops are skilled at removing malware and even if they are, your computer may be so infested that Windows will need to be clean-installed. ...