Re: Weird problem with XP

As an option:
If you are in North America, you can call 866-727-2338 for help with virus and spyware infections. See http://www.microsoft.com/protect/support/default.mspx for details.

For international information, see your local subsidiary Support site.

"John91" <wanghaodong@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:13kkmvhmlmojbb8@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
My XP SP2 suddenly got some problem, all anti-virus software and firewall stop working. Internet can be connected right after system startup, but lost within a minute. Maybe some virus destroyed something in the system? can't figure it out. It seems the system does not allow any desired "exe" file to run or even install.

Here are what I tried and failed:
1) Install a clean copy McAfee VirusScan. Halfway it got "an error occurred while installing McAfee..."

2) A friend says the Windows Installer may be missing. I downloaded Windows Installer 3.1, but when extracting files during install, popup " The system cannot find the file specified" - update.exe.
To work around, I extracted the files in a flash drive, and copy all files to hard drive, but error still comes up when copying - "cannot copy update: cannot find the specified file". The system does not accept update.exe file!

3) Spybot. Installed OK. But unable to run - popup error "cannot find SpybotSD.exe file (missing shortcut)". Checked the Spybot folder, the exe file is missing (system does not accept it!)

It's so weird, please help!

John

  • Re: Win XP RPC Service Failure Reboot Rant Help - the story of a ruined weekend!
    ... "Virus Alert About the Blaster Worm and Its Variants" ... | of Windows ME to XP Home Edition and install Symantec Internet Security ... | mucked up Zone Alarm so uninstall it and switch on the XP firewall. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Fixing broken XP install on XPS machine
    ... friend who's an IT tech" messed with it after an apparent virus attack. ... system boots, the pre-desktop screen displays a text message saying that ... We decided to first try a conservative strategy, doing a repair install ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Answers to frequently asked questions - 17SEP03
    ... I have this mystery re trying to install Norton ... Internet Security 2003 on my XP Pro. ... > specific virus, please tell us what it's name is! ... > date with antivirus software and more importantly ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: Virus alert about the Win32/Conficker.B worm
    ... It started with my McAfee virus software being disabled ... point that even starting up windows xp would take over 5 minutes to ... same - I cannot install any software that is intended for finding ... The program can access FAT32 or NTFS partitions, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Where is the MS Office Pro Shortcut Toolbar
    ... there is no shortcut bar. ... > the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal ... > | I do not see Do Not Install. ... > | under Office Tools. ...
    (microsoft.public.office.setup)