Re: Strange Virus Activity
- From: Malke <notreally@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2007 11:12:25 -0800
Since Monday (10/15) 65% of my office PCs have been plagued by what apears to be a virus. The symptoms are:
- explorer.exe freezes for 5-10 minutes on boot up.
- the Start Button freezes when the menu is displayed.
- Office programs freeze or are slow to open (5-15 minutes).
We have run three different AV scans and nothing is detected. Running task manager reveals nothing - system idle process displays at 85-99%, memory is usually 30% or less utilized.
After 5-20 minutes, the computers appear to "unfreeze" but then run sporadically with marginal performance.
All this began on 10/15 so I don't think it's coincedence or random. Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.
The First Question Of Troubleshooting: what changed between the time things worked and the time they didn't? What is different about these computers? Any software/hardware updates? What kind of firewall do you have in place?
Please review the general malware removal steps here:
If you followed similar procedures, then you may wish post a HijackThis log on one of the specialty forums listed below (not here, please). You will be given guided help.
http://www.aumha.org/a/hjttutor.htm - HijackThis tutorial by Merijn
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtutorial=42 - another tutorial
http://aumha.net/ - Click on the HijackThis forum. Read the announcement and the stickies *first*.
Elephant Boy Computers
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
- Prev by Date: Re: Strange Virus Activity
- Next by Date: Re: Clamwin, Windows Vista and Security Center
- Previous by thread: Re: Strange Virus Activity
- Next by thread: Re: Clamwin, Windows Vista and Security Center