Re: Packed.Hacktool -- unable to delete...

sameer_n_v@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi there. Norton found a .exe on my girlfriend's computer the other
day. When I clicked on the name I was taken to the following URL on
symantec's site:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2005-031715-1204-99&tabid=2

Note that I was unable to delete it and it didn't pull up on a search
of the system either. Symantec says "Packed.Hacktool is a generic
detection for hacktool programs that have been processed with software
packers." I'm not sure what that means.

Should we be doing anything or is it harmless?

There certainly isn't a lot of information about that threat but of course I wouldn't want something questionable on any of my own machines.

You can send the file to Virus Total for identification:
http://www.virustotal.com/

Posting back the results from VT may get you more specific advice.

It would certainly not hurt for you to do at least some scanning for viruses and other malware with other programs. Here are general instructions:

Go through these general malware removal steps systematically - http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Removing_Malware

Include scanning with David Lipman's Multi_AV and follow instructions to do all scans in Safe Mode. Please see the special Notes regarding using Multi_AV in Vista.

http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Multi-AV - instructions
http://pcdid.com/Multi_AV.htm - download

Malke
--