BD

Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2007 19:06:17 -0400

"BoaterDave" <BoaterDave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:O6vZYWm2HHA.3760@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thanks for responding again, Fitz.

If I right-click on a post in any newsgroup or email message, I see a pop-up menu at the bottom of which is 'Properties'. If I left-click on 'Properties' I get a pop-up window showing General and Details. If I click on Details there is loads of information. If you do this on a message from me you will see, 3 lines up from the bottom the following: NNTP-Posting-Host: AC8FC59C.ipt.aol.com 172.143.197.156 - That is my me! When I carry out the same exercise on a message from you, I *cannot* identify you. Your explanation may be valid - but I've never come across this before.

I had no idea about any of this a couple of years ago. I'd never even considered why anyone would even wish to identify someone who might make a post in a newsgroup, Microsoft or any other. Now somewhat wiser, I believe that there are 'facilities' which can scan IP addresses and identify vulnerable/unprotected PC's (but have no idea how they work!). Scouring the Microsoft newsgroups may well be how the 'bad guys' find new additions for their Botnets - and thus be able to spread spyware and viruses undetected. Perhaps that answers your last point!

Another poster here has no Reverse DNS evident from his IP address. Whilst I am willing to be shown that my understanding of matters is incorrect, no-one has offered an explanation yet. I fear that, if one is unprotected, these newsgroups pose a real threat to many Internet users. Just my view! :)

David

"---Fitz---" <---fitz---@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:46ba4c75$0$12241$4c368faf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I have not a clue why you can't see my IP address. It would depend on your newsgroup client and how it's configured, whether proxies are being used by the sender, how the sender's ISP is set up as well as a host of other things...probably including firewalls, routers and other things. I'm doing nothing special to conceal my IP and I wouldn't know how to do it nor would I care. I'm on Time Warner cable, behind a Vonage router and behind a Belkin router. My IP is dynamic which means it changes on occasion. I'm not on dialup or my IP would change every time I dialed in.

At any rate, your question is not virus related so it's probably better suited to a newsgroup concerning security rather than virus.

"BoaterDave" <BoaterDave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:%23j5seNf2HHA.536@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
OK - a question for you Fitz - I'm always willing to learn.

I have no problem seeing IP addresses in the messages of others here. I'm puzzled.
Will you please explain why I cannot see any IP address listed in the 'Properties' of your posts here? TIA

David

Why do want to determine my IP? I'm already married.

.