BD

Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2007 19:06:17 -0400

"BoaterDave" <BoaterDave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:O6vZYWm2HHA.3760@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thanks for responding again, Fitz.

If I right-click on a post in any newsgroup or email message, I see a
pop-up menu at the bottom of which is 'Properties'. If I left-click on
'Properties' I get a pop-up window showing General and Details. If I click
on Details there is loads of information. If you do this on a message from
me you will see, 3 lines up from the bottom the following:
When I carry out the same exercise on a message from you, I *cannot*
identify you. Your explanation may be valid - but I've never come across
this before.

I had no idea about any of this a couple of years ago. I'd never even
considered why anyone would even wish to identify someone who might make a
post in a newsgroup, Microsoft or any other. Now somewhat wiser, I believe
that there are 'facilities' which can scan IP addresses and identify
vulnerable/unprotected PC's (but have no idea how they work!). Scouring
the Microsoft newsgroups may well be how the 'bad guys' find new additions
for their Botnets - and thus be able to spread spyware and viruses
undetected. Perhaps that answers your last point!

Another poster here has no Reverse DNS evident from his IP address. Whilst
I am willing to be shown that my understanding of matters is incorrect,
no-one has offered an explanation yet. I fear that, if one is unprotected,
these newsgroups pose a real threat to many Internet users. Just my view!
:)

David

"---Fitz---" <---fitz---@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I have not a clue why you can't see my IP address. It would depend on
your newsgroup client and how it's configured, whether proxies are being
used by the sender, how the sender's ISP is set up as well as a host of
other things...probably including firewalls, routers and other things.
I'm doing nothing special to conceal my IP and I wouldn't know how to do
it nor would I care. I'm on Time Warner cable, behind a Vonage router and
behind a Belkin router. My IP is dynamic which means it changes on
occasion. I'm not on dialup or my IP would change every time I dialed in.

At any rate, your question is not virus related so it's probably better
suited to a newsgroup concerning security rather than virus.

"BoaterDave" <BoaterDave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
OK - a question for you Fitz - I'm always willing to learn.

I have no problem seeing IP addresses in the messages of others here.
I'm puzzled.
Will you please explain why I cannot see any IP address listed in the
'Properties' of your posts here? TIA

David

.