Re: A new 'Beta' test from Panda

Hello Peter.

I have posted below a relatively recent post you made (or should I stress
'apparently' by you?) in which you state that you have a T3 connection
(perhaps for valid reasons - but I don't know what they may be). I should
like to know if you confirm or deny that *you* posted this message - others
may possibly be interested too. The posting style seems /remarkably/ similar
to your posts on the MS newsgroups.

'Peter Foldes' was a regular 'adviser' on both Annexcafe U2U groups - but
isn't posting there nowadays - instead it is a persona called Derek Feldman
(who's IP address is, coincidently (?) exactly the same as yours!). My take
is that someone here is telling Porkie Pies.

David

Here's a comparison table http://www.dslreports.com/archive

Your T3 figures appeared absolutely outstanding, Peter.
I had no idea what T3 was so went to Google. This is what I found

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/T/T_3_carrier.html

In essence it said:-
T-3 lines are used mainly by Internet Service Providers (ISPs) connecting to
the Internet backbone and for the backbone itself.

"Peter Foldes" <okf22@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Receive speed 8230 on Sympatico and 93937kbps on T3. Upload speed on
Sympatico is 6839 and on T3 75497

--
Peter

This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and confers no rights

"Peter Foldes" <okf22@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Hello David

This will be the last time I will involve myself with this delusional query
of yours. I was born as Peter Foldes and I stay as such and post as such
across the newsgroups. If you have any doubts about this person on another
newsgroup server who is named Derek Feldman then may I suggest that you go
and ask this person there why his name is Derek and why is he\she\is posting
using his\her name as Derek Feldman.

I have nothing to do with this person and I do not wish to either. Also I do
not know who she\he is.
As far as not trusting me for the answers that I post to you on your issues
, then that is your prerogative and either you take it or you do not.

This is the last time I will involve myself with you on this name changing
subject which you keep on bringing up and waiting bandwidth here for no
reason..

Now, may I ask you , did you solve your issues as far as what you have
posted concerning your computer.

Thanks David and have a nice day and weekend
--
Peter

"BoaterDave" <BoaterDave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
No worries on timing Peter.

You will no doubt read the comment between Phil and me here. PLEASE will
you
give a brief explanation of why I or, indeed, anyone else should trust YOU
(especially as you are now giving advice at -
annexcafe.general.user2user -
using the mame of Derek Feldman) I do not understand why you would wish to
change your posing 'nick'. :)

David

"Peter Foldes" <okf22@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Sorry I could not get back to you sooner Dave but I see that Phil has
explained to you correctly and in detail.

--
Peter

"BoaterDave" <BoaterDave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Phew! Thanks for all that, Phil! I really appreciate the time and
trouble
you have taken to respond so comprehensively.

Dare I ask you for further comment? <g> I will anyway!

When posting to a newsgroup on a private server, it seems that
anyone/everyone can identify me, regardless of user name employed. Whilst
fully appreciate that an individual has a certain style (which can be
'fudged' - obfuscated, if you will) if the IP address changes as you say
(and I believe you!) can you suggest an alternate way they can identify
someone without having installed some form of 'reporting' malware on
one's
PC?

I'd value your advice. TIA.

David

"Phil Weldon" <not.disclosed@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
'BoaterDave' wrote, in part:
| **Indeed - your memory serves you well (this time!) However, that does
*not*
| explain why posts from you here invariably have different IP addresses
when
| the day changes. You cannot, surely, be suggesting that when folk
visit
| /this/ group and see the name of Peter Foldes that it isn't really
you?
| People tend to see a name they trust and follow the advice given - how
easy
| it would be to mislead vulnerable folk in such a scenario. So I ask
you
once
| again, politely., the reason for the constant change in your IP
address.
_____

In the main, for DSL, an IP address is assigned dynamically to a
customer.
Each time a system (or for some setups the modem) connects to the ISP,
the
ISP assigns a new IP address from the block allocated to the ISP. A
static
IP address costs extra. If, for example, you were to examine the
headers
for my posts to this newsgroup, you would usually see a different IP
address
on posts from different days. Each IP address would be picked more or
less
at random from the block assigned to the ISP. With a large IP like
mine,
that would be from a address space of millions. If you look at my posts
with time stamps more than a few days apart the IP address is different.
The IP address associated with your post is from the block assigned to
AOL
(172.192.0.0 - 172.216.255.255), an IP address space of just over
1,500,000.
My current IP address is as I make this post is 208.187.80.135. If I
disconnect my DSL modem, and post again, the IP address in that second
post
will be different. So newsgroup identities are exactly as you thought.

There is no way to identify a newsgroup poster from the IP address in
the
post headers, even if the headers are completely legitimate without the
cooperation of the ISP because you need the records the ISP keeps to
match
an IP address with the customer AT THE TIME THE POST WAS MADE. Even if
the
customers IP address is static, though you might assume the identity of
the
poster, you'd still need the account records. This should take a court
order or a 'national security letter' these days.

Some naive trolls who use different sock puppet posting names are
exposed
when [they post from a small ISP (because the pool of ISP addresses is
small) or when they post from a static IP address] AND the style is
suspiciously similar. But that is just exposure of sock puppets, NOT
actually matching a real identity to a post.

As for your original question, which I think is about Panda nanoscan
(ALL
the information for a newsgroup post should be in the BODY of the
message -
the 'Subject' line should be a short phrase to indicate the content of
the
message). My thoughts on Panda nanoscan: there is no compelling reason
try it. On the down side it is 'Beta' (may have bugs, is not ready for
release, is at present for Panda's benefit, not the user's benefit), it
can't be very thorough in 20 seconds, requires installing active-x
controls,
really gives no assurance that the scanned system is clean, and requires
an
active connection to the internet. On the up side, it is very quick.

Phil Weldon

| In-line responses
|
| "Peter Foldes" <okf22@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
| Sorry Dave . But I cannot comment on your request since I am not
familiar
at
| all with the Panda software. Maybe someone will come along soon that
can
| comment on your question.
|
| **Thanks for your straight-forward reply, Peter. I'll wait patiently!
:)

| As far as IP addresses go you do know that they can be spoofed and
some
| people do it .
| You have been in a similar situation yourself when you had your ID
stolen
in
| the past so you know what kind of situation it can create
|
| **Indeed - your memory serves you well (this time!) However, that does
*not*
| explain why posts from you here invariably have different IP addresses
when
| the day changes. You cannot, surely, be suggesting that when folk
visit
| /this/ group and see the name of Peter Foldes that it isn't really
you?
| People tend to see a name they trust and follow the advice given - how
easy
| it would be to mislead vulnerable folk in such a scenario. So I ask
you
once
| again, politely., the reason for the constant change in your IP
address.

| BD

| "BoaterDave" <BoaterDave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
| > Hello Peter! Thank you for the reminder.
| >
| > It would, though, have been even more helpful had you also given
your
view
| > on the new facility from Panda as I'd requested.
| >
| > Whilst I'm here I noted that your IP address is currently
64.228.81.234
| > Having checked your other posts on this group since 31 May, each IP
| > address
| > is different (save for on 5 July when 3 replies were made on the
same
| > day).
| > The previous training given by you - to me - suggested that an IP
address
| > may be used to identify a particular poster. Others posting here
*do*
| > maintain the same IP address. Will you, please, explain why yours
changes?

| > An additional query. On a separate newsgroup, on a private server,
the
IP
| > address of a poster is shown as 127.0.0.1, viz:-

14:23:04
| > GMT)
| >
| > I'd be grateful if you, or anyone else knowledgeable on such
matters,
| > would
| > comment on this. Thank you.
| >
| > David
| >
| > ***************************************
| >

| > "Peter Foldes" <okf22@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
| > multiposted not crossposted. Even worse
| >

| > http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm
| > --
| > Peter
| >
| > Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others
| > Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be
acknowledged.

| > "BoaterDave" <BoaterDave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
| >> Forgive the cross-post but, on reflection, I felt this might be a
more
| >> appropriate place to ask this question!
| >>
| >> Hi - just wondering is any of the gurus here have tried it and
might
wish
| >> comment: See: http://www.nanoscan.com/
| >>
| >> David

  • Re: A new Beta test from Panda
    ... As I've said many times Peter, ... Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others ... Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. ... Each time a system connects to the ISP, ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: A new Beta test from Panda
    ... No worries on timing Peter. ... You will no doubt read the comment between Phil and me here. ... Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others ... Each time a system connects to the ISP, ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: A new Beta test from Panda
    ... So it seems that they are lying - or I have malware on my PC! ... ISP, or actually get a court order B^) ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: A new Beta test from Panda
    ... Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others ... Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. ... | /this/ group and see the name of Peter Foldes that it isn't really you? ... Each time a system connects to the ISP, ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)