Re: A new 'Beta' test from Panda

It's been refreshing to 'talk' to you here, Phil. Out of general interest
only are you from/in Mableton, GA?

A quote from you : " ... I hadn't picked up on your spelling B^)" - why
B^? I suspect you meant BD

It's just tiny things like this which can catch my eye nowadays. You might
possibly be interested to read this thread I started elsewhere.
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28210

You also said " the less I know about a subject, the more skeptical I am of
advice (no matter what the medium)" - I agree 100% with you! <g>

David

"Phil Weldon" <not.disclosed@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
'BoaterDave' wrote, in part:
| That since having had my identity stolen some two years ago (on-line
| Paypay/ebay) I have switched ISP, installed a router and connect
wirelessly.
| I use a Security Suite and the other software I mentioned and am now
also
| reasonably adept with HiJackThis. I never stray to 'bad' sites either
when
| on the web.
_____

'Trust' on line, hmm. For newsgroups, technical newsgroups that have a
connection to computer security and vulnerability, well, I judge on

does a mature individual seem to be behind the posts?

is advice given in post agree with facts I know to be true?

history in newsgroups (a Usenet newsgroup archive will contain almost
every Usenet newsgroup message posted in the last 25 years, searchable by
author)

'peer group' effect - bad advice is usually pointed out very quickly

the less I know about a subject, the more skeptical I am of advice (no
matter what the medium)

does the poster take responsibility for postings?

You seem to properly take Internet security seriously. As for 'Papal, I
get
enough 'pishing' Papal emails that I just ignore them all; same goes for
any
email that purports to be from my bank. If any institution REALLY needs
important information from me they will just have to use a different
medium.

I've never suffered from 'identity theft', though my brother had his
credit
card information during hotel registration; that information was used to
open an ISP account, and then to open an Internet gambling account. The
credit card issuer had software that tracked usage patterns, flagged the
Internet gambling account and immediately contacted him. That proactive
security is becoming more common and more sophisticated; for example, it
is
impossible here to purchase gasoline more that three times in a few hours
using the same credit card.

Finally, sorry for the all the USA specific remarks - I hadn't picked up
on
your spelling B^)

Phil Weldon

"BoaterDave" <BoaterDave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
| Phil - I take in what you say, but would add ...............
|
| That since having had my identity stolen some two years ago (on-line
| Paypay/ebay) I have switched ISP, installed a router and connect
wirelessly.
| I use a Security Suite and the other software I mentioned and am now
also
| reasonably adept with HiJackThis. I never stray to 'bad' sites either
when
| on the web.
|
| About an hour ago, my doorbell rang. Outside was a policeman. He was
invited
| indoors.
| He questioned my wife and me about our next door neighbour - a young man
| aged about 30 or so. He had evidently been taken into hospital (for
reasons
| not disclosed to us) and had later dischared himself - he had
subsequently
| disappeared without trace.
|
| All we really knew about him was that his name was Dan, that he'd fairly
| recently dropped out of horticultural college and didn't see eye-to-eye
with
| his parents who live somewhere in Wales. He was a rather disturbed young
guy
| who kept himself very much to himself and didn't really want to
communicate.
| He's lived alongside us for the best part of 12 months and that's really
all
| we knew about him. We felt rather embarrased.
|
| How much do you know about your neighbour(s) ............. and those you
| 'trust' on-line?
|
| FWIW
|
| David

| > | + Windows Defender, AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5 and Ad-Aware 2007 - all up
| > date
| > | on Windows XP Home, SP2 and all updates.
| > |
| > | I was referring in my comment to those on another newsgroup who seem
| > adamant
| > | that they can identify me regardless of my selected 'nick' for
posting
| > | purposes. If my IP doesn't give me away, I was wondering what other
| > 'spy'
| > | might be being used to identify me.
| > _____
| >
| > And I gave you methods!
| > I guess another method would be
| > get the IP address from a recently posted newsgroup message
| > launch an attack on that IP address through the Internet
| > exploit a vulnerability to take control of your system
| > rifle through your files
| > export information over the Internet to the hacker.
| >
| > But simple precautions can block this chain at several points.
| > router with NAT
| > hardware firewall
| > software firewall
| > antivirus and antimalware programs installed, up-to-date, and
always
| > active
| > secure physical location
| > up-to-date security patches installed on operating system and
| > applications
| >

| > Or someone could just enter the physical location of your system and
make
| > changes.
| >
| > There is a difference between what CAN be done and what is worth
something
| > to someone to actually DO. At the moment, in the USA, a 'national
| > security
| > letter' can get the US government most any information requested. But
are
| > you worth the trouble B^)
| >
| > Phil Weldon
| >
| > "BoaterDave" <BoaterDave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
| > | Hello again Phil - slight misunderstanding I fear!
| > |
| > | I'm actually using the McAfee Internet Security Suite supplied (at
extra
| > | cost!) with my AOL (UK) subscription
| > | + Windows Defender, AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5 and Ad-Aware 2007 - all up
| > date
| > | on Windows XP Home, SP2 and all updates.
| > |
| > | I was referring in my comment to those on another newsgroup who seem
| > adamant
| > | that they can identify me regardless of my selected 'nick' for
posting
| > | purposes. If my IP doesn't give me away, I was wondering what other
| > 'spy'
| > | might be being used to identify me.
| > |
| > | David
| > |
| > |

| > | "Phil Weldon" <not.disclosed@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
| > PC!

| > work
| > And
| > use
| > than
| > thorough

| > file
| > files)
| > an
| > supplement.

| > either

| > PC!
| > | > |
| > | > |

<snip>

  • Re: A new Beta test from Panda
    ... | Paypay/ebay) I have switched ISP, ... connection to computer security and vulnerability, well, I judge on ... every Usenet newsgroup message posted in the last 25 years, ... Internet gambling account and immediately contacted him. ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: audit user activity
    ... you can set filter to view the Security log for a particular user. ... Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support ... This newsgroup only focuses on SBS technical issues. ... Right-click Small Business Server Auditing Policy and click Edit. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Hijacking of seeks
    ... Smiles are meant to be shared, ... > next Windows restart. ... with the Windows XP Security Center and it is very annoying. ... Replies posted only to the newsgroup for the benefit or other readers. ...
  • Re: Open source in the national interest
    ... newsgroups where people can discuss how to IMPROVE security of Microsoft ... The name of this newsgroup is microsoft.public.security *not* ... You are saying this is not the right ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Uproarious post for all the Iraqis who expressed their newfound freedom
    ... >>> take the 60 seconds to verify it for yourself. ... I just mentioned that you claimed to have "helped start" this newsgroup. ... > Go scroll back up to the top of this posting. ... >> Are you ready to live up to your own standard, Phil? ...
    (rec.arts.marching.drumcorps)