Re: A new 'Beta' test from Panda

Sorry I could not get back to you sooner Dave but I see that Phil has explained to you correctly and in detail.

--
Peter

"BoaterDave" <BoaterDave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:e8TIJCI0HHA.1188@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Phew! Thanks for all that, Phil! I really appreciate the time and trouble
you have taken to respond so comprehensively.

Dare I ask you for further comment? <g> I will anyway!

When posting to a newsgroup on a private server, it seems that
anyone/everyone can identify me, regardless of user name employed. Whilst I
fully appreciate that an individual has a certain style (which can be
'fudged' - obfuscated, if you will) if the IP address changes as you say
(and I believe you!) can you suggest an alternate way they can identify
someone without having installed some form of 'reporting' malware on one's
PC?

I'd value your advice. TIA.

David

"Phil Weldon" <not.disclosed@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
'BoaterDave' wrote, in part:
| **Indeed - your memory serves you well (this time!) However, that does
*not*
| explain why posts from you here invariably have different IP addresses
when
| the day changes. You cannot, surely, be suggesting that when folk visit
| /this/ group and see the name of Peter Foldes that it isn't really you?
| People tend to see a name they trust and follow the advice given - how
easy
| it would be to mislead vulnerable folk in such a scenario. So I ask you
once
| again, politely., the reason for the constant change in your IP address.
_____

In the main, for DSL, an IP address is assigned dynamically to a customer.
Each time a system (or for some setups the modem) connects to the ISP, the
ISP assigns a new IP address from the block allocated to the ISP. A
static
IP address costs extra. If, for example, you were to examine the headers
for my posts to this newsgroup, you would usually see a different IP
address
on posts from different days. Each IP address would be picked more or
less
at random from the block assigned to the ISP. With a large IP like mine,
that would be from a address space of millions. If you look at my posts
with time stamps more than a few days apart the IP address is different.
The IP address associated with your post is from the block assigned to AOL
(172.192.0.0 - 172.216.255.255), an IP address space of just over
1,500,000.
My current IP address is as I make this post is 208.187.80.135. If I
disconnect my DSL modem, and post again, the IP address in that second
post
will be different. So newsgroup identities are exactly as you thought.

There is no way to identify a newsgroup poster from the IP address in the
post headers, even if the headers are completely legitimate without the
cooperation of the ISP because you need the records the ISP keeps to match
an IP address with the customer AT THE TIME THE POST WAS MADE. Even if
the
customers IP address is static, though you might assume the identity of
the
poster, you'd still need the account records. This should take a court
order or a 'national security letter' these days.

Some naive trolls who use different sock puppet posting names are exposed
when [they post from a small ISP (because the pool of ISP addresses is
small) or when they post from a static IP address] AND the style is
suspiciously similar. But that is just exposure of sock puppets, NOT
actually matching a real identity to a post.

As for your original question, which I think is about Panda nanoscan (ALL
the information for a newsgroup post should be in the BODY of the
message -
the 'Subject' line should be a short phrase to indicate the content of the
message). My thoughts on Panda nanoscan: there is no compelling reason
try it. On the down side it is 'Beta' (may have bugs, is not ready for
release, is at present for Panda's benefit, not the user's benefit), it
can't be very thorough in 20 seconds, requires installing active-x
controls,
really gives no assurance that the scanned system is clean, and requires
an
active connection to the internet. On the up side, it is very quick.

Phil Weldon

| In-line responses
|
| "Peter Foldes" <okf22@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
| Sorry Dave . But I cannot comment on your request since I am not
familiar
at
| all with the Panda software. Maybe someone will come along soon that can
| comment on your question.
|
| **Thanks for your straight-forward reply, Peter. I'll wait patiently! :)
|
| As far as IP addresses go you do know that they can be spoofed and some
| people do it .
| You have been in a similar situation yourself when you had your ID
stolen
in
| the past so you know what kind of situation it can create
|
| **Indeed - your memory serves you well (this time!) However, that does
*not*
| explain why posts from you here invariably have different IP addresses
when
| the day changes. You cannot, surely, be suggesting that when folk visit
| /this/ group and see the name of Peter Foldes that it isn't really you?
| People tend to see a name they trust and follow the advice given - how
easy
| it would be to mislead vulnerable folk in such a scenario. So I ask you
once
| again, politely., the reason for the constant change in your IP address.
|
| BD

| "BoaterDave" <BoaterDave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
| > Hello Peter! Thank you for the reminder.
| >
| > It would, though, have been even more helpful had you also given your
view
| > on the new facility from Panda as I'd requested.
| >
| > Whilst I'm here I noted that your IP address is currently
64.228.81.234
| > Having checked your other posts on this group since 31 May, each IP
| > address
| > is different (save for on 5 July when 3 replies were made on the same
| > day).
| > The previous training given by you - to me - suggested that an IP
address
| > may be used to identify a particular poster. Others posting here *do*
| > maintain the same IP address. Will you, please, explain why yours
changes?

| > An additional query. On a separate newsgroup, on a private server, the
IP
| > address of a poster is shown as 127.0.0.1, viz:-

| > GMT)
| >
| > I'd be grateful if you, or anyone else knowledgeable on such matters,
| > would
| > comment on this. Thank you.
| >
| > David
| >
| > ***************************************
| >

| > "Peter Foldes" <okf22@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
| > multiposted not crossposted. Even worse
| >

| > http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm
| > --
| > Peter
| >
| > Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others
| > Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged.
| >
| > "BoaterDave" <BoaterDave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
| >> Forgive the cross-post but, on reflection, I felt this might be a
more
| >> appropriate place to ask this question!
| >>
| >> Hi - just wondering is any of the gurus here have tried it and might
wish
| >> comment: See: http://www.nanoscan.com/
| >>
| >> David

  • Re: A new Beta test from Panda
    ... ISP assigns a new IP address from the block allocated to the ISP. ... for my posts to this newsgroup, you would usually see a different IP ... There is no way to identify a newsgroup poster from the IP address in the ... which I think is about Panda nanoscan (ALL ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: A new Beta test from Panda
    ... ISP assigns a new IP address from the block allocated to the ISP. ... So newsgroup identities are exactly as you thought. ... There is no way to identify a newsgroup poster from the IP address in the ... which I think is about Panda nanoscan (ALL ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: Queues in Exchange
    ... is not the ISP DNS server. ... Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support ... This newsgroup only focuses on SBS technical issues. ... | the outbound queue. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: VMS Update
    ... My ISP is Bell Canada's Sympatico service. ... had already dropped newsgroup support (citing ... told me my modem cable was bad. ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: Queues in Exchange
    ... I don't think there is an issue regarding the SMTP with my ISP, ... > Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support ... > This newsgroup only focuses on SBS technical issues. ... > rights. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)