Re: A new 'Beta' test from Panda

'BoaterDave' wrote, in part:
| When posting to a newsgroup on a private server, it seems that
| anyone/everyone can identify me, regardless of user name employed. Whilst
| fully appreciate that an individual has a certain style (which can be
| 'fudged' - obfuscated, if you will) if the IP address changes as you say
| (and I believe you!) can you suggest an alternate way they can identify
| someone without having installed some form of 'reporting' malware on one's
| PC?
_____

In the USA be George W. Bush, Alberto Gonzales, or Dick Cheney, bribe the
ISP, or actually get a court order B^)

Phil Weldon

"BoaterDave" <BoaterDave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
| Phew! Thanks for all that, Phil! I really appreciate the time and trouble
| you have taken to respond so comprehensively.
|
| Dare I ask you for further comment? <g> I will anyway!
|
| When posting to a newsgroup on a private server, it seems that
| anyone/everyone can identify me, regardless of user name employed. Whilst
| fully appreciate that an individual has a certain style (which can be
| 'fudged' - obfuscated, if you will) if the IP address changes as you say
| (and I believe you!) can you suggest an alternate way they can identify
| someone without having installed some form of 'reporting' malware on one's
| PC?
|
| I'd value your advice. TIA.
|
| David

| "Phil Weldon" <not.disclosed@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
| > 'BoaterDave' wrote, in part:
| > | **Indeed - your memory serves you well (this time!) However, that does
| > *not*
| > | explain why posts from you here invariably have different IP addresses
| > when
| > | the day changes. You cannot, surely, be suggesting that when folk
visit
| > | /this/ group and see the name of Peter Foldes that it isn't really
you?
| > | People tend to see a name they trust and follow the advice given - how
| > easy
| > | it would be to mislead vulnerable folk in such a scenario. So I ask
you
| > once
| > | again, politely., the reason for the constant change in your IP
address.
| > _____
| >
| > In the main, for DSL, an IP address is assigned dynamically to a
customer.
| > Each time a system (or for some setups the modem) connects to the ISP,
the
| > ISP assigns a new IP address from the block allocated to the ISP. A
| > static
| > IP address costs extra. If, for example, you were to examine the
headers
| > for my posts to this newsgroup, you would usually see a different IP
| > address
| > on posts from different days. Each IP address would be picked more or
| > less
| > at random from the block assigned to the ISP. With a large IP like
mine,
| > that would be from a address space of millions. If you look at my posts
| > with time stamps more than a few days apart the IP address is different.
| > The IP address associated with your post is from the block assigned to
AOL
| > (172.192.0.0 - 172.216.255.255), an IP address space of just over
| > 1,500,000.
| > My current IP address is as I make this post is 208.187.80.135. If I
| > disconnect my DSL modem, and post again, the IP address in that second
| > post
| > will be different. So newsgroup identities are exactly as you thought.
| >
| > There is no way to identify a newsgroup poster from the IP address in
the
| > post headers, even if the headers are completely legitimate without the
| > cooperation of the ISP because you need the records the ISP keeps to
match
| > an IP address with the customer AT THE TIME THE POST WAS MADE. Even if
| > the
| > customers IP address is static, though you might assume the identity of
| > the
| > poster, you'd still need the account records. This should take a court
| > order or a 'national security letter' these days.
| >
| > Some naive trolls who use different sock puppet posting names are
exposed
| > when [they post from a small ISP (because the pool of ISP addresses is
| > small) or when they post from a static IP address] AND the style is
| > suspiciously similar. But that is just exposure of sock puppets, NOT
| > actually matching a real identity to a post.
| >
| > As for your original question, which I think is about Panda nanoscan
(ALL
| > the information for a newsgroup post should be in the BODY of the
| > message -
| > the 'Subject' line should be a short phrase to indicate the content of
the
| > message). My thoughts on Panda nanoscan: there is no compelling reason
| > try it. On the down side it is 'Beta' (may have bugs, is not ready for
| > release, is at present for Panda's benefit, not the user's benefit), it
| > can't be very thorough in 20 seconds, requires installing active-x
| > controls,
| > really gives no assurance that the scanned system is clean, and requires
| > an
| > active connection to the internet. On the up side, it is very quick.
| >
| > Phil Weldon
| >

| > "BoaterDave" <BoaterDave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
| > | In-line responses
| > |
| > | "Peter Foldes" <okf22@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
| > | Sorry Dave . But I cannot comment on your request since I am not
| > familiar
| > at
| > | all with the Panda software. Maybe someone will come along soon that
can
| > | comment on your question.
| > |
| > | **Thanks for your straight-forward reply, Peter. I'll wait patiently!
:)
| > |
| > | As far as IP addresses go you do know that they can be spoofed and
some
| > | people do it .
| > | You have been in a similar situation yourself when you had your ID
| > stolen
| > in
| > | the past so you know what kind of situation it can create
| > |
| > | **Indeed - your memory serves you well (this time!) However, that does
| > *not*
| > | explain why posts from you here invariably have different IP addresses
| > when
| > | the day changes. You cannot, surely, be suggesting that when folk
visit
| > | /this/ group and see the name of Peter Foldes that it isn't really
you?
| > | People tend to see a name they trust and follow the advice given - how
| > easy
| > | it would be to mislead vulnerable folk in such a scenario. So I ask
you
| > once
| > | again, politely., the reason for the constant change in your IP
address.
| > |
| > | BD
| > |
| > |

| > |
| > | "BoaterDave" <BoaterDave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

| > view

| > 64.228.81.234
| > address
| > changes?

| > IP

| > more

| > wish

| > |
| > |

  • Re: A new Beta test from Panda
    ... So it seems that they are lying - or I have malware on my PC! ... ISP, or actually get a court order B^) ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: A new Beta test from Panda
    ... isn't posting there nowadays - instead it is a persona called Derek Feldman ... Your T3 figures appeared absolutely outstanding, Peter. ... Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others ... Each time a system connects to the ISP, ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: Queues in Exchange
    ... is not the ISP DNS server. ... Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support ... This newsgroup only focuses on SBS technical issues. ... | the outbound queue. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Queues in Exchange
    ... I don't think there is an issue regarding the SMTP with my ISP, ... > Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support ... > This newsgroup only focuses on SBS technical issues. ... > rights. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: VMS Update
    ... My ISP is Bell Canada's Sympatico service. ... had already dropped newsgroup support (citing ... told me my modem cable was bad. ...
    (comp.os.vms)