Re: Blocking threats from USB storage device - *spam*

Thanks again, Phil. In my case, I did get my money back (eventually!)

D.
"Phil Weldon" <not.disclosed@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
'BoaterDave' wrote:
| I'm beginning, at last, to understand how everything works here, but
it's
| taken two years to do so! <g>
|
| I first found out about Newsgroups only *after* I had had my identity
stolen
| and started to look into how it could have happened. Thousands of people
| evidently browse the MS Newsgroups looking for help and advice. I'm sure
| many are even more naive than I was (am? <g>) and must be highly
vulnerable
| to being exploited. How many of them do, actually, click on a link -
which
| might take them to an infected site? I suspect that I did on more than
one
| occasion! <g>
_____

Glad to help. I had a head start on you; I began programming computers
in
1965 B^)

Many of the dangers on the Internet will get sorted out; and those that
don't, well, it's better to meet them through electronic mediation than
face-to-face. Some rob you with a digital touch, some with a gun.

Phil Weldon

"BoaterDave" <BoaterDave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> [...]
| *
| *
| *
| *
| *
| *
| *
| *
|
| WHO CLICKED ON THAT LINK? <G>
|

| "Phil Weldon" <not.disclosed@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
| > 'BoaterDave' wrote:
| > | Do you know if anyone from MS monitors the posts on Usenet servers?
| > | Does anyone check the links?
| > | Might 'newbies' (as I once was - still am to a degree! <g>) be
| > mis-directed
| > | to, say, an infected site?
| > _____
| >
| > Microsoft runs its own servers for the microsoft.public.* newsgroups
(and
| > provides access through its web based interface [look for 'CDO' in the
| > header of a post, that identifies a message posted directly to the
| > microsoft.public.* servers through the web based interface]). The
| > messages
| > on these proprietary servers are propagated through the Usenet ad hoc
(as
| > in
| > long standing, set up through RFCs, but decentralized) network. There
is
| > 'message cancelation' command, but that is only available to the
original
| > poster, and not all Usenet servers honor message cancellations. So
| > essentially, no, Microsoft has no control over posts once they reach
| > Usenet
| > servers. But that is the nature of Usenet (Google search 'Usenet');
one
| > of
| > its major strengths - NO Centralized Control.
| >
| > The best protection is an educated user, someone who uses always on
| > up-to-date antivirus and other antimalware protection, who keeps the
| > operating system up-to-date with ALL security patches and service
packs,
| > who
| > uses a router with NAT, and who uses some discretion in where they go
and
| > what packages they open (as in real life.)
| >
| > Yes, I am sure Microsoft monitors the posts, but that is certainly no
| > gauruntee... the greater dangers are perhaps from well meaning but
| > dangerous
| > advice - but that is generally kept in check in microsoft.public.*
| > newsgroups as well as in de jure (as opposed to de facto) Usenet
| > newsgroups
| > through the kind of 'peer review' you see in this newsgroup. (At one
time
| > there were numerous posts with Internet Worms as attachment to
newsgroups,
| > but that has dropped to zero, probably because most ISPs now scan
email
| > and
| > newsgroup posts for malware (Google search 'Swen').

| > |
| > | Do you know if anyone from MS monitors the posts on Usenet servers?
| > | Does anyone check the links?
| > | Might 'newbies' (as I once was - still am to a degree! <g>) be
| > mis-directed
| > | to, say, an infected site?
| > |
| > | BD
| > | ***********************************************************
| > | "Phil Weldon" <not.disclosed@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |
| > |

  • Phil the troll http://members.iinet.com.au/~rutlidge/alanindex.html
    ... UseNet Etiquette Phantasy Phil Style ... How not to post in the Newsgroups ... He posts things like this for example - ... ** My comment was about THIS scenario - not your one fuckhead. ...
    (uk.rec.audio)
  • Re: Blocking threats from USB storage device - *spam*
    ... | evidently browse the MS Newsgroups looking for help and advice. ... | might take them to an infected site? ... |> | Do you know if anyone from MS monitors the posts on Usenet servers? ... and not all Usenet servers honor message cancellations. ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: Blocking threats from USB storage device - *spam*
    ... I first found out about Newsgroups only *after* I had had my identity stolen ... | Do you know if anyone from MS monitors the posts on Usenet servers? ... Microsoft runs its own servers for the microsoft.public.* newsgroups (and ... and not all Usenet servers honor message cancellations. ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: Blocking threats from USB storage device - *spam*
    ... Microsoft runs its own servers for the microsoft.public.* newsgroups (and ... and not all Usenet servers honor message cancellations. ... essentially, no, Microsoft has no control over posts once they reach Usenet ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Where O where is everyoen going?
    ... Anyone else been noticing that the volume of posts in the sun related ... newsgroups has decreased significantly? ... usenet servers back in the day) ...
    (comp.sys.sun.admin)