Contravirus.com removal

My brother-in-law just got infested with the Contravirus.com. I've tried
using Spybot S&D and Avast to remove it--unsuccessfully.

Going to Google and searching the groups helped, but they were still a
little confusing. The recommendations there seemed to revolve around
manually deleting a list of files and using the program SmitFraudFix.exe.

Since this is such a nasty little virus that just keeps coming back and
back, I could use some feedback on the best way to remove it.

Thanks,
Dan

--
----------
----------

  • HOSTS Spybot F-Secure BackWeb
    ... Here's one I dealt with recently which I'll indict the BackWeb folks. ... The fact that Google and only Google had ... So I downloaded SpyBot which is more agressive and more tedious than AdWare ... Overwriting the HOSTS file destroyed user data as the HOSTS file was in use ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • HOSTS Spybot F-Secure BackWeb
    ... Here's one I dealt with recently which I'll indict the BackWeb folks. ... The fact that Google and only Google had ... So I downloaded SpyBot which is more agressive and more tedious than AdWare ... Overwriting the HOSTS file destroyed user data as the HOSTS file was in use ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • HOSTS Spybot F-Secure BackWeb
    ... Here's one I dealt with recently which I'll indict the BackWeb folks. ... The fact that Google and only Google had ... So I downloaded SpyBot which is more agressive and more tedious than AdWare ... Overwriting the HOSTS file destroyed user data as the HOSTS file was in use ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • HOSTS Spybot F-Secure BackWeb
    ... Here's one I dealt with recently which I'll indict the BackWeb folks. ... The fact that Google and only Google had ... So I downloaded SpyBot which is more agressive and more tedious than AdWare ... Overwriting the HOSTS file destroyed user data as the HOSTS file was in use ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: how restrict recipients addresses on backup mailserver
    ... List of valid recipients ... dnl it stops looping in virtusertable mapping if input and output ... There must have been some failure on Google site ... search right now, then same search returns 74 results, and searching ...
    (comp.mail.sendmail)