Strange AVG behavior.

Hi all...

I'm waiting to hear back from Grisoft about this, but in the meantime, I
thought I would also post here and see if anyonelse using AVG 7.5 is having
the same or a similar thing going on.

As recently, as this week - after completing daily scheduled updates -
Update Manager is now requiring a reboot in order to "complete installation"
In the time I'd had AVG, I've never seen this happen.

An inspection of the Event Log in Admin Tools seems to verify AvgUpdSvc
starting normally, but its also noting a "FinishUpdate returns 8004020f "
item - for the last 4 days. Going back further in the Applications log to
the beginning of the month, Same items show, with normal termination of
Update Manager with no reboot.

I'm thinking a recent Priority update might of failed and in the process of
scanning for new updates, its also detecting this update hasn't completed
thus returning a " faulty update manager state " balloon in the taskbar.

  • Re: Strange AVG behavior.
    ... double click "Update Manager" and choose the ... navigate to program folder of AVG Antivirus; ... I'm waiting to hear back from Grisoft about this, but in the meantime, I ... An inspection of the Event Log in Admin Tools seems to verify AvgUpdSvc ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: AVG Free Edition requires reboot to update
    ... I have version 7.5.446 and can't find Update Manager anywhere on the Control ... I've looked for a NG containing the letters AVG and can't find one. ... On one when I update the virus definitions I do not have to reboot. ... GOOD LUCK. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Strange AVG behavior.
    ... Heard back from AVG this morning. ... double click "Update Manager" and choose the ... Update Manager is now requiring a reboot in order to "complete ... An inspection of the Event Log in Admin Tools seems to verify AvgUpdSvc ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: Strange AVG behavior.
    ... settings of Update Manager. ... Open AVG Control Center, double click "Update Manager" and choose the ... An inspection of the Event Log in Admin Tools seems to verify AvgUpdSvc ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • AVG updates & reboot.
    ... It seems that I have to reboot the computer almost each day after AVG has done an update. ... The 'update manager' is the module that requires you to restart the computer. ... kreh at southendweather dot net ...
    (alt.computer.security)