"David H. Lipman" wrote:

From: "Baub" <Baub@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

| I hope it's ok to double post as I posted in IE forum as well.
| I am using Windows XP SP2, I have IE7 installed, and am having a really
| serious issue with my browser. I can use the internet with no problem, but as
| soon as I try to access any web page that refers to adware, spyware,
| antivirus, or hijackers, the browser page closes instantly. If I open those
| pages in a new window, only that window shuts down, not my whole browser. I
| am at a loss, as I cannot read into what is causing this. I am hoping as a
| last straw, that someone here knows something about this. I run NAV 2007,
| and Windows Defender. Also, I have
| installed easy cleaner, spybot S&D, and Ad aware (They found no problems).
| Now I am
| unable to even open web pages regarding these issues to download anything
| further. Oh I also reset
| all the IE7 settings, and run with no add-ins etc etc... no luck with
| anything.

You asked about "double posting". The term is Multi-Posting. It is NOT a good idea. The
preferred practice is called Cross-Posting.
Cross-Posting mans you craete ONE News Group post but it is posted to two or more News
Groups (with no more than 5 ~ 6 being Cross-Posted to) and the News Groups should be
pertinent to the subject matter and "On Topic.

Cross-Posting is preferred becuase all News Groups get tghe benefit from the query and the
resulatant discussion. This is unlike Multi-Posting where each group has separate replies.

You have symptoms of malware. Maybe not a virus but most likely a Trojan and what you are
seeing is the "payload"

Download MULTI_AV.EXE from the URL --

Choose; Unzip
Choose; Close

Execute; C:\AV-CLS\StartMenu.BAT

This will bring up the initial menu of choices and should be executed in Normal Mode.
This way all the components can be downloaded from each AV vendor's web site.
The choices are; Sophos, Trend, McAfee, Kaspersky, Exit this menu and Reboot the PC.

file. http://www.ik-cs.com/multi-av.htm

Additional Instructions:
http://pcdid.com/Multi_AV.htm

http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

  • Re: 0-length ntoskrnl.dll (NOT ntoskrnl.exe)
    ... | Windows xp system at all, so I am tempted to remove this file ... FireWall to allow it to download the needed AV vendor related files. ... This will bring up the initial menu of choices and should be executed in Normal Mode. ... Sophos, Trend, McAfee, Kaspersky, Exit this menu and Reboot the PC. ...
  • Re: svchost.exe is a virus! HELP!
    ... Opening "My Computer" produces an scvhost.exe error pop up and the ... I have updates all the recomended Windows Update fixes, patches, windows ... You may have to disable your software FireWall or allow WGET.EXE to go through your FireWall to allow it to download the needed AV vendor related files. ... You can choose to go to each menu item and just download the needed files or you can download the files and perform a scan in Normal Mode. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Need help Pls..Is it a virus??
    ... My host file reads exactly as the original and my ... # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows. ... Download MULTI_AV.EXE from the URL -- ... This will bring up the initial menu of choices and should be executed in Normal Mode. ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: Virus that corrupts process names
    ... I tried to install Zone Alarm but it would not ... Finally I deleted the whole partition and reinstalled Windows. ... FireWall to allow it to download the needed AV vendor related files. ... This will bring up the initial menu of choices and should be executed in Normal Mode. ...
    (alt.comp.anti-virus)
  • Re: Need help Pls..Is it a virus??
    ... | and Windows Defender. ... Download MULTI_AV.EXE from the URL -- ... This will bring up the initial menu of choices and should be executed in Normal Mode. ... It is suggested to run the scanners in both Safe Mode and Normal Mode. ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)