Re: Error loading OS. Is this virus activity?

From: "Auds" <bk266378@xxxxxxxxx>

| This is the message that I am getting this morning having closed down last
| night without any signs of trouble. Mind you, the PC has locked up on me
| twice in the last week, both times when I returned to it after a lengthy
| period of idling. Consequently, I cannot even use F8 to get into Safe Mode
| or Last Good Configuration.
|
| This is a 2.8GHz PC with 512MB RAM. I have two 80GB hard disks, the first
| having Windows on C: and data on the D: partition. The second drive G: is a
| backup of D:.
|
| I tried using the XP Pro CD to repair the problem and was surprised to find
| that Recovery Console shows Windows drive D:, instead of C:, D: is shown as
| E: and G: is shown as C:.
|
| I ran chkdsk /p on each of the drives and they all showed fixes but only on'
| the first run.
|
| I then ran bootcfg /list, which said there was no data to show.
|
| When I tried bootcfg /scan, it said it could not complete possibly due to a
| corrupt system.
|
| I then looked at fixmbr and got the warning that this computer appears to
| have a non-standard or invalid master boot record. I also read on the
| Internet that fixmbr should not be used if there is the possibility of a
| virus in the system.
|
| This all sounds rather dire to me. Can anyone offer any reassurance?
|
| Thanks,
|
| brianf

I can reassure you this does NOT sound viral in nature.

Go to the hard disk manufacturer's web site and download their diagnostic software
respective to your hard disk. After the test, you will know if the hard disk is bad or
not..

Quantum/Maxtor - PowerMax
http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/powermax.htm

Western Digital - Data LifeGuard Tools (DLGDiag)
http://support.wdc.com/download/

Hitachi/IBM - Drive Fitness Test (DFT)
http://www.hgst.com/hdd/support/download.htm

Seagate - SeaTools
http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/

Fujitsu - Diagnostic Tool
http://www.fcpa.com/download/hard-drives/

Samsung - Disk manager
http://www.samsung.com/Products/HardDiskDrive/utilities/shdiag.htm

http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

  • Re: Error Loading OS
    ... I take it that you have 4 IDE devices in there and that they are connected on 2 IDE controllers on the motherboard. ... The reason your computer doesn't boot when all the devices are attached to the motherboard is because the IDE chain is not correctly setup or that the Boot Order in the BIOS is set to pass the boot to the wrong drive. ... Then reset BIOS to boot from Hard Disk - I got the same Error LOading OS ... When you paste the contents of the file here also tell us how many drives and partitions you have in the computer. ...
  • Re: Low disk space
    ... Information on how to clear up hard disk drive space... ... When you hibernate your computer, Windows saves the contents of the system's ... Highlight one of your drives and click on ... You can control how much space your Temporary Internet Files can utilize... ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: DMA errors with hard disk
    ... > trying to run in a DMA mode that the drive doesnt support, ... > configured your hard drives by hand you may have have a wrong setting. ... Today morning I moved hdb (the second hard disk to ... ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14 ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Problem finding ntoskrnl.exe on boot.
    ... space on my mom's computer by adding a second hard disk. ... Symantec Partition Magic 8. ... System should now boot from C:, ... all logical drives on both disks, ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.general)
  • hard disk gives trouble on change of size
    ... I have a 160G hard disk. ... writing the existing 131Gb partition. ... fdisk happily created two new partitions at the end of ... Is the sarge lilo so old that it cannot handle drives with more than ...
    (Debian-User)