Windows Defender Shutting Down

I have been having a problem with Defender shutting down often. Seemingly
it started when I updated to the regular public release, I was using the
Beta and this problem never occurred.

I have uninstalled Defender and reinstalled it according to MS procedure
without correcting the shutdown problem. I have looked at the only KB item
and follow the pertinent items in there, I think? That gave me a days
improvement by it not shutting down. the next day it was shutdown.
Sometimes the icon shows there is a problem sometimes the icon disappears.
It worries me because I do not get an immediate warning, I have to be aware
to check the status most of the time. I have not called MS support yet. I
run Registry Mechanic at reasonable intervals and have OneCare to tune up
once a week. I am running an AMD Athlon Manchester, Socket 939, Dual Core
processor on an Asus A*N32 Sli Deluxe MOB which has not exhibited any
problems since I assembled it in 2006 July. I do not suspect equipment has
anything to do with the problem but thought I would supply the info.

I am using IE7 and WinXP have automatic updates for the MS and Office. I am
running the latest version of OneCare also. I have wondered if there is a
conflict between Defender and OneCare since it seems some features are
duplicated or nearly so.

Will someone give me some advice or at least confirm that I am not the only
person in the world having this problem? Thanks Al

  • Re: Windows Defender Shutting Down
    ... I have uninstalled Defender and reinstalled it according to MS procedure without correcting the shutdown problem. ... Sometimes the icon shows there is a problem sometimes the icon disappears. ... I run Registry Mechanic at reasonable intervals and have OneCare to tune up once a week. ... I have wondered if there is a conflict between Defender and OneCare since it seems some features are duplicated or nearly so. ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: system almost hang after installing 4 gb ram
    ... MsMpEng.exe is part of Microsoft Windows Defender, an anti-spyware utility from Microsoft. ... When used by OneCare, the user interface of OneCare replaces the UI of Defender. ...
  • Re: One Care DEactivates Defender but....
    ... OneCare will disable your Vista copy of Windows Defender and will also disable the Windows Firewall. ... Does One care "take care" of this problem? ...
  • Re: MSMPENG.EXE hogging CPU. How do I get better control of MSMPENG
    ... I never heard of "onecare" and shall most likely never install it. ... Please explain "try the installation." ... I still do not know how to tweak Defender to skip file types, ...