Re: My PC Protection

What's wrong with WinPatrol and AdAware?

I like WinPatrol as it tells me when something is being added to the
startup, for some reason, everytime I open Real Player it tries to add it to
the Startup.

Have been using AVG for about a year now and only installed Avast after
reading about it on here. What are the best Sensitivity settings, presently
everything is set to Normal?

--
Gerry (The MOTH)

"Panda_man" <Pandaman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
"Gerry (The MOTH)" wrote:

PART 1

this is what
I've got installed on my laptop to ensure I'm virus, spyware and malware
free
Am I being paranoid or do I need anything else installed?

PART 2

Haven't had any problems so far.

Paranoid is the exact word in this case :-)

Gerry , you'll definitely have problems running more than one AV in
real-time.
I prefer Avast to AVG so I recommend you goto Start->Settings->Control
Panel->Add/Remove programs and uninstall AVG antivirus
Restart after that

Make sure Avast is running and protecting by testing with the harmless
Eicar
test file by Eicar.org
http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm

From the antispyware tools you can also uninstall WinPatrol and Ad-Aware
se

Regards!
--
Panda_man
Silver level Contributor

  • Re: winpatrol
    ... The best thing about Winpatrol is the real-time alerts. ... you're installing software, and the installer did not give you a choice ... It also monitors the HOSTS file, critical system files, and certain ... Previously WinPatrol did NOT monitor all possible startup locations. ...
    (alt.comp.anti-virus)
  • Re: winlogon:userinit
    ... One of the new features of WinPatrol is to monitor some additional ... startup registry entries not typically listed by Startup monitors. ...
  • Re: Config. Utility against unchecking programs?
    ... permission. ... Windows Media Player; Adobe Reader 8; Adobe Flash Player 10 Activex..] ... When I go to Startup to uncheck some programs to speed up the computer, ... the free version of WinPatrol does not immediately check ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Config. Utility against unchecking programs?
    ... WinPatrol will prevent programs from enabling at startup without your permission. ... Dell Dimension XPS T448MHz Pentium III; 640 MB RAM; high speed cable; Windows Media Player; Adobe Reader 8; Adobe Flash Player 10 Activex..] ... When I go to Startup to uncheck some programs to speed up the computer, it always appears a popup window saying that I changed the Configuration Utility to "Selective" or "Diagnostic" and that I should change it back to "Standard"... ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Spyware keeps invading computer?!? Wont let me load some sites?!? What is going on here?!?!?
    ... Solid advice! ... it would be Winpatrol. ... allow anything to be added to the startup without the user's permission. ... Again, thanks for the info, Shenan. ...