"David H. Lipman" wrote:

From: "john9872" <john9872@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

| I'm guessing my laptop is infected with the sasser worm (or variant) as
| every time I try to turn it on I get the error message 'lsass.exe -
| system error Object Name not found'
| This happens before windows has loaded, so all I can do is click OK and
| my computer re-starts!
| Have tried starting in safe mode but the same thing happens.
| Any suggestions....
| Please...

Nope. This is not the result of a worm exploiting a vulnerability in the
LSASS module of the OS via TCP port 445.

With this error, there isn't usually too much you can do. Here's the normal
path I take when computers with this problem come into the shop

1. Retrieve data if client neglected to back it up. It is completely
possible to get data off the drive if it won't boot into Windows. Let me
know if you want details for that.

2. Do routine hardware diagnosis on the hard drive and the RAM to make sure
the hardware is sound.
http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Hardware_Tshoot

3. Try a Repair Install.
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm - Repair Install
How-To

4. In most cases, the Repair Install will not help and it is necessary to do
a Clean Install:
http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html - Clean Install How-To
http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Reinstalling_Windows - What
you will need on-hand

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

  • Re: 0x80070005 error on multiple computers
    ... Booted into safe mode and ran Windows Update. ... Ran Windows update again and was allowed to install the package installer ... Have you only recently become responsible for these computers, ... do clean install of WinXP... ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: ok, lets clear this up MS - is Product Activation really restricted?
    ... And MOST of the people I know have computers AT least that old. ... >>> not have any more problem with the Linux box than with the Windows ... Saying that the average user could do a clean install of ANY OS is just ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: problems with xp.. after a virus attacked me
    ... Internet Explorer does not load webpages. ... Windows Media Player does not load up at all. ... http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm - Repair Install ... Do a clean install of Windows. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: activation
    ... sandy58 wrote: ... I have had my Windows XP Home ... I regularly do a clean install and now Windows, ... computers. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Windows XP Pro receiving updates for Windows NT
    ... I also have my Windows XP disk and the disks ... Try repair install of OS and doing a Windows update to bring your ... To a clean install of the OS - this wipes the disk clean so you lose ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)