Re: 12-16-06 Computer, WinXP, keeps shutting down

due to the fact that the virus is undetectable makes it harder to fix

your bios may be currupt but then how would the one week solution fix it? so
its not likely the bios

the virus needs a way to start when the computer does most common methods
include putting a registry key in the
which hold most of the start up keys to disable this try staring in
safe-mode ( while starting your computer repeatedly press F8 and when the
boot menu comes up chose safeboot ( with networking if wanted ) )

if this deosn't work tell us and try to give us ANY other details

Best Of Luck,
Brian M

"JWSM" <bungarribee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

About three weeks back, my computer started shutting down, after a min
two, regardless if it was being used or sitting idle, just after turning

There have been various warnings about overheating or the clock/date has
been reset after loading again.

Have an up to date version of Nortons running, and have downloaded a
of free virus programs (nothing was found) - but still it persists.

A brief respite was had when I reset the computer to an earlier time,
however, a week later it's back.

A Google search reveals some similar problems occurring, yet no fix

Relevant Pages

  • Re: RAM not recognized
    ... manufacturer and followed their steps to reset the BIOS but that didn't fix ...
  • Re: Missing keyboard : XP Home SP2.
    ... even if I'm not exactly sure what it is that you did to fix the problem. ... Did you change the keyboard? ... Reset the BIOS? ...
  • Re: incorrect function
    ... >> flash drives return the error message invalid drive incorrect function. ... >> do I fix it please? ... Perhaps your BIOS got reset when the power supply stopped supplying ...
  • Re: freebsd-current Digest, Vol 398, Issue 3
    ... For the list: Attached patch works. ... Nothing gets me a system that will actually boot. ... This may not be easy to fix properly for the time being as it ... that this is all to work around your BIOS being very broken. ...
  • Re: Got virus - now have to boot "last known good" every time
    ... screen, but it wont uninstall, and replacing a .sys file from the XP Pro CD didnt fix it either. ... Before that I had run combo fix with another issue that resolved. ... Malware is what got rid of the vundo virus originally as I have since checked it with vundofix.exe and it came out clean. ... Gene Bloch 650.366.4267 ...