Re: XP's Firewall

.....changed my mind about
http://www.jasonn.com/turning_off_unnecessary_services_on_windows_xp
....he waits until the end of his article to explain that switching off
services that "breaks" something, could be, (in as many words), difficult to
fix !!

regards, Richard

"RJK" <notatospam@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
http://www.grc.com contains some very good information pertinent to some
of the points discussed on this burgeoning thread.
...and lower down someone had the audacity to suggest that BlackIce
Defender is a "good" firewall. ROFL !
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=blackice+site%3Agrc.com&meta=
...and even further down one or two people suggested that manually
controlling Windows Services is a solution ! WHO, may I ask, other than
gifted system administrators, (very, VERY, RARE beings), have got the time
and expertise to wade through all that ?
http://www.jasonn.com/turning_off_unnecessary_services_on_windows_xp
...appears interesting.

Ages ago I tried working through services to turn off what I "didn't
need," and ended up with a crippled PC, and had to put it back to how it
was before I started tweaking !

regards, Richard

"B.W." <bwaller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (del xxx)> wrote in message
Did the Firewall with XP improve with SP2?

Is it still not considered good enough to use? Would it be best to use a
third party free programme?

Thanks You for any help.

B.W.

  • Re: audio: hda_intel azx_get_response timeout
    ... switching to polling mode: last cmd=0x00bf1c00 ... when connecting external speakers to listen to ... music(keep in mind this was only once), ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: 8 ball last pocket.
    ... care of our bills... ... which what I had in mind when I gave him first ... lesson. ... ROFL Below is a list of people who have gotten wealthy playing pool ...
    (rec.sport.billiard)
  • Re: An ode to chinar jaat gul and thoku
    ... ROFL!!!! ... just ignore the dogs. ... Who do you have in mind, at least I haven't seen anything posted by ... Guilty as charged, but at least my wife still sleeps in my bed.- Hide quoted text - ...
    (soc.culture.pakistan)
  • Re: Search results that make you giggle
    ... :-)= Not what I had in mind! ... ROFL ... :-)= Misty ... Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com ...
    (uk.rec.humour)