Re: XP's Firewall

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 19:31:51 -0400, "David H. Lipman"
<DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

From: "Dan" <spamyou@xxxxxxxx>

| BTW, I am still waiting for an article or documentation on how the
| Windows Firewall is better than the Zone Alarm Professional Firewall.

You won't find it.

You won't find trustworthy and independent articles documenting the
opposite either. You will find a lot of opinions, though. Most
opinions influenced by very skilled marketing departments at vendors
like ZoneLabs doing a great job.

However, when technically skilled people put firewalls like ZA to the
test, they are not that impressed. You could also ask security experts
what they in general think about the idea of running a "firewall" on
the same machine as it is supposed to protect.

Its simplistic interface does not provide for complex "rules". This is one reason Microsoft
has released OneCare which contains a FireWall application.

Now why would Microsoft have to realease a product with a FireWall if the SWinXP FireWall
was sufficiennt ?

Because market demand is stronger than common sense? ;-)

On the sdame note, OneCare also is anti virus. It falls well below AV industry standrads
and OneCare should be avoided as a security suite.

  • Re: Firewall Best Practices
    ... I say "notices enough to tell anyone", the network behind the firewall might ... If you cannot figure out what a rules does, then study the documentation, ... test the rule or preferably the complete ruleset in an ... ..and keep those logs as long as possible. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: [fw-wiz] What challenges are security admins facing?
    ... On Mon, 26 May 2003, Paul Ammann wrote: ... > I've working on the firewall security audit at my company, ... > security admin are facing. ... Ahh, documentation, the bain of most every IT person. ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • Re: firewall
    ... ferm - a firewall rule parser for linux ... (looks like a decent way to learn iptables rule writing, ... last update Jan 23 2007 - looks promising ... documentation is weak (but very few of these products have decent ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: [fw-wiz] Firewall review tool for Junipers
    ... Fair warning - I build a commercial product for firewall and network ... for any flavor of firewall you happen to use. ... the reg says you need documentation for every allowed ... The tricky part is proving the docs match the network. ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • Re: Norton Personal Firewall 2003
    ... Read the documentation. ... This could be due to your settings or rules. ... so seamlessly through a firewall. ... For example some windows patches and service packs tighten up registry ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)