Re: XP's Firewall

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 10:47:48 -0600, Dan <spamyou@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

And in comp.security.firewalls you still owe us an explanation for
your claim that the windows firewall is easy to "break through".

I did not say that. I said that the Windows Firewall was overrated.

Yes, and you also said: "I remember putting
Windows Firewall through the test and it failed" and "I had users see
if they could break through the Windows Firewall and
they were able to break through it" - and we asked you to provide info
on what was tested and how.

Until you provide other info I suspect that you tested for some
outbound leaks - which is pretty silly since the windows firewall
makes no attempts to control that.

It is not as secure as the Zone Alarm firewall because it does not have
bi-directional capabilities.

Controlling outbound connections for malware already allowed to run is
a very silly idea.

You also have total lockdown capability with Zone Alarm.

Yes, is sometimes even works like that by default ;-) *SCNR*

You can see further arguments from this article.

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-5301625.html

When did David Berlind become a trustworthy source within windows
security? - Since he advocates outbound control running on the same
machine as the firewall is intended to protect (and furthermore within
a windows environment), I really cannot take him seriously.

  • Re: XP SP2 RC1
    ... > outbound firewall control in XP SP2. ... > "Windows Firewall will automatically allow all outbound connections, ... > I thought BGates stated there would be outbound control? ... > on the Windows Firewall exceptions list during installation." ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: HELP hijack this results
    ... You need far more then just the basic Windows Firewall as that will only ... > Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7 ... > (Shockwave ActiveX Control) - ... > (Shockwave Flash Object) - ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: Systems not taking Computer policy.
    ... control of our systems. ... A GPO is set to turn off Windows Firewall for both domain profile and standard profile. ... once a GPO applies it is not reapplied until the version number of the GPO has changed. ... If you have machines that are not applying policy, check the event logs before anything else. ...
  • Re: Windows Firewall
    ... In Control Panel/Security Center I click on Windows Firewall. ... Connection Sharing (ICS) service? ... < Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Authorized apps/services to make a connection?
    ... my control. ... Check out your Windows Firewall settings. ... system settings, adding/removing software, or doing system maintenance. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)